- Join Education Council - By-elections are happening now! -
One Downtown Student seat and one Faculty (Student Success) seat are up for election.
Why join EdCo as a student representative?
- Be empowered to make changes to improve student life on campus
- Learn how the College is run
- Gain valuable experience working in a team with people across the College
- Develop your leadership skills by representing the students of VCC
- Shape the future of VCC for the best student experience
- Engage with the VCC community–students, faculty, staff, and administrators
For more information, please review the Education Council Introduction January 2023.
- Nominations: Monday, January 30 to Friday, February 10 (4:00 p.m.)
- Campaign Period: Monday, February 13 to Friday, February 17
- Voting (online): Wednesday, February 22 to Tuesday, February 28 (4:00 p.m.)
- Results: Announced by March 3
Nomination forms are posted on myVCC for students and employees. Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notice of By-Election Winter 2023
Election Rules Aug 2021
Photo: EdCo Planning Day June 2022
Chair: Natasha Mandryk
Vice-Chair: Sarah Kay
Executive Members: Andy Sellwood and Louise Dannhauer
Assistant: Darija Rabadzija
Education Council (EdCo) is a key part of VCC’s internal governance structure. All public B.C. colleges are required by the College and Institute Act to have a Board of Governors and an Education Council, the two branches that make up bicameral governance.
Education Council has the sole decision-making authority for
- policies concerning examinations and evaluation of student performance;
- criteria for academic standing, academic standards and the grading system;
- policies and procedures for appeals by students on academic matters and establishing a final appeal tribunal for these appeals;
- curriculum content for courses leading to certificates, diplomas or degrees.
Education Council acts in an advisory role to the Board of Governors on the development of educational policy.
Education Council and the Board of Governors have joint approval powers for decisions related to equivalency of courses, programs, or course credit.
To assist Education Council in the decision-making process, there are three supporting Standing Committees:
- Curriculum Committee
- Education Policy Committee
- Education Quality Committee
Education Council and its Standing Committees are committed to creating standards of evaluation for curriculum development, changes to policies and procedures, fair appeals processes, and thorough criteria for program reviews and renewals.
Education Council Bylaws 2015
Education Council is comprised of representatives from across VCC, including
- ten faculty representatives
- four educational administrative representatives
- four student representatives
- two support staff representatives
- the President (ex officio).
Please see the Members tab for more information.
Education Council warmly welcomes all members of the college community to attend regular Education Council meetings.
Education Council meets on the second Tuesday of each month, except for July and August, from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Meetings are conducted via videoconference (Zoom). Zoom links for meetings are located on the meeting agenda.
2023 Regular Meetings
January 10 - Videoconference
February 14 - Videoconference
March 7 - Videoconference
March 16 - Special Meeting
April 11 - Videoconference
May 9 - Videoconference
June 13 – Videoconference
July – No meeting
August – No meeting
September 12 – Videoconference
October 10 - Videoconference
November 14 - Videoconference
December 12 - Videoconference