COVID-19 – Safety updates for VCC campusesPosted on February 18, 2021
A message from the VCC Emergency Operations Centre (EOC)
As we settle into the beginning of 2021 and the winter term, it’s important that we continue our collective efforts to keep each other safe and healthy.
VCC leadership, employees, and the EOC are committed to responding to the evolving needs of the college as we navigate the coming months together.
What's happening on campus
Our cleaning staff continue to maintain a frequent schedule of cleaning and disinfecting of high-traffic areas, such as elevators, handrails, doorknobs, office surfaces, classrooms, and washrooms. It is important that any spaces being used are communicated to your department manager and the facilities department so that cleaning can be scheduled.
In response to some concerns raised in the recent VCC COVID-19 Employee Engagement Survey, washroom access has been increased. If there are washroom concerns such as cleaning or access, please submit a facilities service request.
Air and HVAC systems
As employees and students continue to work and learn on campus, some questions have been raised around air quality. Despite reduced occupancies, our HVAC systems have remained in full operation and have been regularly maintained. Facilities staff has also, as an additional measure, been running HVAC system 1-2 hrs before occupancy and 1-2 hrs after to flush out air.
Where possible, facilities staff has increased the outdoor air, while continuing to maintain comfortable indoor temperature levels. These measures bring more fresh air into the building and help reduce re-circulation of air.
In an effort to ensure timely responses to employee concerns around facilities use, the EOC would like to remind staff and faculty of the available facilities service request portal.
This online form is an easy way to let the VCC facilities team know of any concerns, and will better ensure a quick response to any concerns or questions.
When on campus
All VCC employees (admin, staff, faculty) are required to complete a daily self-assessment each day you are physically on any VCC campus.
- This is in addition to the weekly Pre-Screen Questionnaire.
- At this time the daily assessment is a self-check, and does not need to be submitted to VCC. However, this may change depending on orders from the Public Health Office.
- Follow the directions of the self-assessment and inform your supervisor if you need to seek medical attention.
- Students will continue with the assessment process via Moodle and their instructors.
Masks are required in all indoor public settings and workplaces
- This applies to common areas where people circulate freely, such as hallways, stairwells, elevators, etc.
- The mask requirement does not apply to people unable to wear a mask, or those who are unable to put on or remove a mask on their own.
- Masks are not provided by security. Individuals are required to supply their own masks.
Social gatherings of any size with anyone other than your household or core bubble are prohibited. This applies to both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- A person who lives alone may have up to two other people visit if they are people with whom the person regularly interacts.
- Please see page 15 of the COVID-19 Go-Forward Guidelines for BC’s Post-Secondary Sector [PDF] for information on exempt educational activities.
All events and gatherings as defined in the PHO Gatherings and Events Order are suspended until further notice.