President's message: On-campus instruction delayed until Jan. 10, 2022Posted on December 30, 2021
Dear VCC community,
As we know, the nature of the pandemic is changing every day.
Over the holidays, we have continued to watch the situation very closely, and work with the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Training (AEST) and the Provincial Health Office (PHO).
Today, in consideration of the latest COVID-19 updates from the PHO and in consultation with the AEST, Vancouver Community College (VCC) has decided to delay the delivery of in-person courses and programs, where feasible, to Monday, Jan. 10. (See letter below.)
To: Public PSI Presidents; VPs Academic; VPs Finance/Administration; VPs Research; Sector Association Presidents
Recommendation for Jan. 10/22 start of classes:
Post-secondary institutions are advised to delay the start of in-person instruction until Mon, Jan 10/22, where operationally feasible, in order to allow additional time to assess the impact of the Omicron variant and review plans for returning to campus after the winter break. BC's Provincial Health Officer (PHO) is supportive of this delay.
- Time sensitive programs including clinical or other experiential components, trades training and practicums may however begin as planned on Jan 4/22 with appropriate safety protocols in place.
- Post-secondary campuses will remain open and available to learners including student housing and student services.
- Based on experience in BC and internationally, educational settings are low-risk for COVID-19 transmission.
Public health continues to monitor COVID-19 closely to ensure that safety measures are informed by evolving evidence. In the event that the measures need to change, the PHO and AEST will discuss with post-secondary institutions immediately.
In response, VCC will delay in person instruction, where feasible, to Monday, Jan. 10. Students can expect emails from their instructor/program with any changes to their start date, or if they will be required to be on campus during the week of Jan. 4.
VCC campuses will open on Jan. 4. Other campus operations and current work arrangements for staff and faculty will continue as scheduled. Student services will be available based on operational needs and institutional capacity.
Based on Dr. Henry’s memo last week we know the measures we have in place are working. Transmission in educational settings on campus continues to be uncommon. This delayed start to on-campus instruction will allow us to have a safe start to 2022.
Please visit the VCC website and monitor your respective emails for further updates. As always, I appreciate everyone’s patience and support as we navigate the situation.
My hope is that you have all been able to find some time with your close family and nearest friends to celebrate, safely, the accomplishments of the past year and ring in a happy new year together.
President and CEO
Vancouver Community College
- COVID-19 Return-to-Campus Guidelines are hosted on government's public website.
- Guidance and recommendations from the Provincial Health Officer are available online at the COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information website.
- If you require advice regarding a potential COVID-19 case, please contact your local Medical Health Officer.
- WorkSafeBC guidance is available on communicable disease prevention plans.