Information and Updates


VCC International

Studying in Canada

International students intending to study in Canada for more than six months require a study permit.

Study Permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and application forms are available online or by paper.

VCC’s Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number is O19279717512 (the first character is the letter ‘O’).  VCC’s DLI number is on all letters issued by VCC International Education.

Students are responsible to know and understand the International Student Immigration Regulations. For more information, visit the IRCC website.

If you are transferring to VCC from another educational institution in Canada, you must notify IRCC when you change institutions in your MyCIC account.

What do you need to obtain a study permit:

At a minimum, these documents are needed to apply for a study permit:

  • A valid passport (with at least 6 months left before expiry)

  • Acceptance letter from VCC with VCC’s DLI number: O19279717512 (the first character is the letter ‘O’)

  • Proof of ability to pay for tuition and living costs for you and any family members coming to Canada

  • Visa processing fee

For more information about study permit applications, visit the IRCC website.


When you arrive at the airport in Canada 

When you arrive at Canadian Customs at the port of entry (eg. Vancouver International Airport if flying), have the following documents ready:

  • Your passport

  • Study Permit or Letter of Introduction (issued by a Canada Visa Office to confirm that your study permit has been granted)

  • Acceptance letter from VCC and proof of registration

  • Proof of funds to support yourself during your stay in Canada

A Canadian customs officer will ask you questions about the purpose of your visit and will verify your documents.  Once the interview is complete, you will be directed to the Canada Immigration Office to process your study permit (if you have arrived with a Letter of Introduction). 

Do not leave the airport or border without your study permit. Also, check the information on your study permit is accurate.  It is much easier to correct any errors before entering Canada.


How do I extend my study permit?

If you are currently a student in Canada with a permit, visit the IRCC website to learn how to extend your study permit.