What you will learn
Upon successful completion of the Esthetics & Spa Therapy Certificate Program students will be able to:
- Practice skin and body therapies in accordance with safety, hygiene, and sanitation standards and regulations.
- Describe human anatomy, physiology and chemical composition specific to concerns relating to nail, skin, body, and hair removal treatments.
- Perform spa treatments based on client consultation, skin analysis and nutritional needs.
- Apply the principles of colour and design to lash, brow and specialized makeup techniques.
- Perform in an ethical and professional manner conducive to spa environments.
- Apply retail business administration practices and marketing techniques for operating a spa.
What to expect
The Esthetics & Spa Therapy Certificate Program provides a wide range of student learning opportunities in the classroom, spa and workplace settings. Students will gain hands-on practical experience working with clients in the VCC Salon and Spa. Industry work experience provides students with additional opportunities to apply their knowledge and technical skills in a workplace setting. Classroom instruction is designed for students to develop theoretical knowledge and practical skills which will be applied for success in the VCC Salon and Spa.
Participation is integral to the development of practical skills in this program; therefore, students assume the role of client, therapist and spa coordinator.
Work practicum offers students spa industry work experience, opportunities to practice knowledge and skills learned at the college and potential for employment.
English 10 or Academic IELTS 5.5 overall (no band less than 5.0) or TOEFL iBT 68 or equivalent.
Applicants who do not meet the program admission requirements may be admitted based on an interview with the Department leader or representative.
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International - English Requirements.
To be successful in the Esthetics & Spa Therapy Certificate Program, it is recommended students possess the following characteristics:
- Ability to understand instruction in English;
- Genuine interest in administering personal services;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Pleasant and out going personality;
- Good hand and eye coordination;
- Manual dexterity and creative ability;
- Normal colour vision;
- Good depth perception and ability to perceive line and form;
- Ability to stand for a long periods of time;
- Ability to plan and work independently;
- Self motivation and a sense of responsibility;
- Basic writing and numerical skills.
Candidates considering this program are likely to be most successful as graduates if they are in good health and are aware that the following health concerns may effect this career:
- Respiratory problems
- Skin conditions
- Back Problems
Program general hours
Classes are run 3 days per week, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., or 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., on Monday to Wednesday or Thursday to Saturday. Students will be expected to attend classes in the cohort schedules that are assigned to them.
Class times are subject to change.
|ESTH 1101||Esthetics & Spa Therapy 1||16|
|ESTH 1201||Esthetics & Spa Therapy 2||16|
|ESTH 1301||Esthetics & Spa Therapy 3||7|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
Tuition Deposit: $10,000
Tuition deposits are payable usually within two weeks after a Letter of Offer is issued.
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||275|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for international students. For domestic programs, visit vcc.ca.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's international refund policy.