What you will learn
Upon completion of this program, the graduate will be able to:
- Apply the Standards of Practice and bylaws of the College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia for CDA practice to provide safe and competent patient care.
- Apply the process of evidence-informed CDA practice.
- Integrate knowledge and critical thinking skills in CDA practice.
- Use problem-solving strategies and decision-making processes in CDA practice.
- Integrate ethics and professionalism into CDA practice.
- Demonstrate professional responsibility and accountability in CDA practice.
- Demonstrate use of self-reflection to improve care and ensure quality CDA practice.
What to expect
The Certified Dental Assisting program (onsite) is offered on a full time basis, over three terms. Each term consists of both theory and clinical courses.
Theory courses are presented through online activities, lecture, small group discussion, assigned readings and self-study. Clinical skills are presented in the dental clinic and laboratory. The clinical competencies are developed on manikins, peers, and patients. Acquisition of clinical skills is enhanced through partnerships with the University of British Columbia (UBC) Dental Clinic Program and practica rotations to dental practices.
- Grade 12 graduation, or equivalent.*
- English 12 with a B grade or equivalent.*
- English Language proficiency https://www.vcc.ca/applying/registration-services/english-language-proficiency-requirements/ * at a grade 12 level
- Either Biology 11 or Biology 12 (human biology recommended) or equivalent.**
Students who have completed the Vancouver Community College Dental Reception Coordinator program are exempt from these admission requirements.
Students who have completed the Vancouver Community College Dental Reception Coordinator program and/or students who have completed the College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia Provincial Radiography credential are exempt from this admission requirement.
Students who complete DREC 1242 Dental Radiography or DAST 1515 Dental Radiography and DAST 1516 Clinical Dental Radiography are exempt from DENT 1505 Dental Radiography 1, DENT 2995 Dental Radiography 2 and DENT 3745 Dental Radiography 3.
Students who complete DNTL 1107 Dental Radiography Module are exempt from DENT 1505 Dental Radiography 1, DENT 2995 Dental Radiography 2 and DENT 3745 Dental Radiography 3.
- Criminal Record Check (CRC) is required upon acceptance to the program, in accordance with the Criminal Records Review Act. All individuals who work with vulnerable adults and/or children must complete a Criminal Records Check through the Ministry of Justice. Applicants to this program should be aware that some practicum placement in hospitals and schools may require completion of a Criminal Records Check indicating no relevant criminal record. After submitting an admissions application, applicants will receive by email a web link and unique college access code to apply and pay for a Criminal Record Check online
Note: The College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia is the regulatory body for Certified Dental Assistants. They require each applicant to undergo another criminal records search prior to registration and certification. Registration and certification to practice is mandatory in BC.
It is highly recommended that applicants spend a minimum of two days observing in a dental practice prior to entering the program.
- Proof of a negative tuberculosis (TB) skin test. In case of positive TB skin test, a negative TB chest x-ray report is required.
- A current "C" certification in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Immunizations in the following are strongly recommended, and may be required for practicum placement in the program:
- Chicken Pox
- Hepatitis B
- Influenza (required annually)
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International - English Requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English
- Empathic and caring attitude
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Manual dexterity and hand/eye coordination
- Detail oriented
- Effective time management skills
- Computer literacy (email, word processing and use of the internet)
Physical precautions — Those with back problems may be affected by the physical demands of the profession. Sensitive skin and allergies may also be affected by some procedures and materials.
|DENT 1501||Prep for Practice Theory 1||3|
|DENT 1502||Patient Assessment Theory 1||3|
|DENT 1503||Plan, Implemen & Eval Theory 1||3|
|DENT 1504||Clinical Practice 1||8.5|
|DENT 1505||Dental Radiography 1||2|
|DENT 2991||Prep for Practice Theory 2||3|
|DENT 2992||Patient Assessment Theory 2||3|
|DENT 2993||Plan Implem & Eval Theory 2||4|
|DENT 2994||Clinical Practice 2||9|
|DENT 2995||Dental Radiography 2||2|
|DENT 3740||Prep for Practice Theory 3||1.5|
|DENT 3741||Patient Assessment Theory 3||2|
|DENT 3742||Plan Implem & Eval Theory 3||3|
|DENT 3743||Clinical Practice 3||8.5|
|DENT 3745||Dental Radiography 3||1|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||127||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||280|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for international students. For domestic programs, visit vcc.ca.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's international refund policy.