What you will learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Practise safely, ethically and professionally as a Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA).
- Integrate knowledge from the medical laboratory sciences to provide optimal medical laboratory services.
- Collect, handle and process specimens for analysis according to standard operating procedures in the medical laboratory.
- Use equipment applicable to the medical laboratory.
- Perform cardiac monitoring tests.
- Perform administrative functions to support the operation of the medical laboratory.
- Assist with quality assurance programs in the medical laboratory.
- Use effective interpersonal skills in the medical laboratory.
What to expect
The program is divided into two levels.
Level 1 is 20 weeks in length and is a combination of theory and practical skills. Instructional activities include lectures, assignments, audio-visual presentations, workshops, on-line activities, guest speakers and tours. Practical skills are developed and practised in a laboratory setting. Under the supervision of an instructor, students practise their blood collection and cardiac monitoring skills.
Upon successful completion of Level 1, students are assigned to a four-week practicum in a medical laboratory. The purpose of the practicum is to provide the students with an opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills in the workplace.
- Grade 12 graduation, or equivalent
- English 12 with a B, or equivalent and English language proficiency
- Biology 12 (with a C- or better) or VCC Biology 0983 & 0993 or equivalent
- Certified five minute keyboarding test with a typing speed of 40 gross words per minute or higher with a maximum of 5 errors.
- A Criminal Record Check (CRC) is required in accordance with the Criminal Records Review Act. All individuals who work with vulnerable adults and/or children must complete a Criminal Records Check through the Ministry of Justice. Applicants to this program should be aware that some practicum placement in hospitals and schools may require completion of a Criminal Records Check indicating no relevant criminal record. After submitting an admissions application, applicants will receive by email with a web link and unique college access code to apply and pay for a Criminal Record Check online
- Proof of a negative TB skin test or chest xray
- Immunization Record
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International - English Requirements.
- Ability to perform fine motor skills
- Able to work well in stressful situations
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Ability to work well as a team member
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good health
|MLAB 1111||Professional Practice||3|
|MLAB 1112||Laboratory Fundamentals||2|
|MLAB 1113||Specimen Collection & Process||6|
|MLAB 1114||Medical Laboratory Procedures||3|
|MLAB 1116||Human Relations Skills||1|
|MLAB 1117||Med Lab Computer Applications||1|
|MLAB 1218||Laboratory Practicum||4|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||357||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||280|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for international students. For domestic programs, visit vcc.ca.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's international refund policy.