What you will learn
- Fashion production
- Technical illustration (Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Pattern drafting
- Knit garments
- Lined dresses
- Office attire
- Niche body types
- Fabric properties, testing, and sourcing
- Textile industry ethics
- Fashion industry issues and trends
- Fashion history and culture
- Precision drawing
- Professional hand and machine sewing
- Textile print and dye techniques
- Garment construction
- Manufacturing specifications
- Creative vision
- Branding and marketing
- Professional communication
What to expect
- Mandatory attendance
- Practical labs and demonstrations
- Team activities
- Computer work
- Field trips
- Independent learning
- Student presentations
- Individual and group projects
- Written exams
- Research assignments
- Lectures, seminars, videos
- 120-hour industry practicum
Admission is a competitive selection based on the following criteria:
- Grade 12 graduation, or equivalent
- English 12 (C grade), or equivalent
- Letter of Intent (500 words or less)
- Two Letters of Reference
- Artistic portfolio:
- Two pieces of original artwork with accompanying description
- Sketch book
- Two sewn items
- Interview with selection committee
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel (testing to be performed onsite)
- VCC recognizes that some applicants may not possess a detailed portfolio or sewing experience. A demonstrated interest in fashion through hobby, education, portfolio, or work experience are acknowledged and seriously considered by the department. These applicants will still need to submit all other documentation, participate in an interview, and potentially take sewing and/or drawing courses prior to the starting the program.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Program options for international students can be found at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Imagination and creativity
- A good aesthetic sense
- Comfort with a fast paced environment
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- The ability to handle criticism
- The ability to work well with a wide variety of people
- Motivation, curiosity, and research-orientation
- Some sewing skills
- General knowledge of fashion designers and styles
There are two options for completion:
- One-year program. This is a full-time, daytime offering. After successfully completing the nineteen courses in Year One and a 120-hour practicum, students will have met the requirements for a Fashion Design & Production Certificate.
- Two-year program. This is a part-time, daytime offering. After successfully completing nineteen courses over two years and a 120-hour practicum, students will have met the requirements for a Fashion Design & Production Certificate.
This program must be completed within three years.
If students wish to continue on to the Fashion Design & Production (Diploma), they may join the third year full-time cohort. Entry into the full-time final year must be done within one year of completing the first nineteen courses.
|FSHN 1101||Fashion Cycle 1||1.5|
|FSHN 1103||Fashion Cycle 2||1.5|
|FSHN 1105||Fashion Fundamentals||1.5|
|FSHN 1107||Illustration and Design 1||2|
|FSHN 1109||Pattern Drafting 1||2|
|FSHN 1111||Sewing Techniques 1||2|
|FSHN 1201||Fashion Cycle 3||1.5|
|FSHN 1203||Fashion Cycle 4||1.5|
|FSHN 1205||Fashion History||1.5|
|FSHN 1207||Illustration and Design 2||2|
|FSHN 1209||Pattern Drafting 2||2|
|FSHN 1211||Sewing Techniques 2||2|
|FSHN 1215||Tech Fashion Illustration 1||1.5|
|FSHN 1301||Fashion Cycle 5||3|
|FSHN 1305||Fashion Marketing||1.5|
|FSHN 1313||Fabric and Textile Studies||2|
|FSHN 1315||Tech Fashion Illustration 2||3|
|FSHN 1319||Textile Surface Designs||2|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||365||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
May 25, 2020 for September 2020 program start date.
† 2018 Job Bank Wage data