Acquire the skills and knowledge to work with legal documents relating to corporate law, conveyancing, litigation, family law, wills, and estates.
What you will learn
- Creation, editing, storage, and filing of legal documents and correspondence
- Legal administrative procedures in the areas of corporate law, conveyancing, litigation, family law, and wills and estates
- Time management and priority setting
- Keyboarding, proofreading, and audio transcription
- Independent and collaborative problem solving
- Effective communication
What to expect
- 24 hours of class per week over 19 weeks
- Skills training in keyboarding and transcription
- Individual and group work
- Lectures and videos
- Legal software demonstrations
- Field trips to Law Courts and law offices
- Theory and practical exams and assignments
- Two-week practicum
Successful completion of the Vancouver Community College Administrative Assistant Program or equivalent program completed in the English language; OR
Minimum of one year’s administrative assistant experience using MS Word, as demonstrated by the applicant’s resume (with confirmation from an employer, if requested), and the following:
- A tested keyboarding speed of 50 gross words per minute on a 5-minute test with a maximum of 5 errors
- Grade 12 completion or equivalent
- English 12 with a C grade, or equivalent
English Language Proficiency at an English 12 level
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants who self-identify as Indigenous are strongly encouraged to connect with VCC’s Indigenous Education and Community Engagement team to learn more about VCC’s Indigenous Enrolment policy, application preparation/completion, program advising, and a range of other individualized services.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and other documents as required by their course or program. Seats are offered to eligible applicants with completed applications, in order of application completion date (except for programs with competitive admissions). A complete application includes an application form, evidence of educational pre-requisites (e.g. transcripts), any required supporting documents (e.g. language proficiency, audition video), and the required deposit or fee payment. If you do not meet the requirements for the term applied, your application may be cancelled.
Missing prerequisites? Learn more about VCC's tuition-free academic upgrading or English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, or discover which university transfer options are right for you.
- Ability to accept responsibility and to plan and reason logically
- Ability to follow instructions and work under pressure
- Good organizational skills
- Adaptability to change
- Ability to work cooperatively with others
- Competency in business arithmetic
Program general hours
Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. with the exception of practicum experiences.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Prior learning assessment and recognition is not available for this program.
|OADM 1450||Legal Office Procedures||3|
|OADM 1452||Corporate Law||3|
|OADM 1453||Family Law||2|
|OADM 1455||Wills and Estates||2|
|OADM 1460||Speed and Accuracy Development||1|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The College reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
Need help with tuition?
Explore your options for scholarships, grants, bursaries, and loans.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
OPEN DATE APPLICATION STATUS*
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5
† 2018 Job Bank wage data