What you will learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be expected to:
- recognize the importance of basic literacy and numeracy skills in the workplace
- plan appropriate and realistic career goals
- recognize, develop, and apply essential skills
- recognize, develop, and apply effective job search skills for employment
What to expect
Classroom instruction, lab activities, field experience, and practicums are used in the program.
Students work individually and in groups. Written and/or verbal/signed assignments are also included. Courses are presented through lectures, small group discussions, and assigned readings and projects. Students are expected to study on their own time.
There are three work experience practicums - one (2 weeks) in the first term and two (3 weeks each) in the second term. Students work with the instructor to determine their work experience practicums and the instructor sets up the practicums.
The minimum entry level is Upper Beginner English as assessed by the Department Head or delegate.
Each applicant will also have:
A successful interview with an instructor and the Department Head.
Some basic computer skills:
- Use a mouse
- Be familiar with the keyboard
- Use a word processor to write a short letter
- Be familiar with email and the Internet
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Self-confident in making own decisions
- Genuinely interested in pursuing educational and career goals
Program general hours
Monday to Thursday, five hours per day.
Two weeks break between terms.
|DHHR 0601||Academic Skills 1||4|
|DHHR 0611||Academic Skills 2||3|
|DHHR 0602||Personal Management Skills 1||4|
|DHHR 0612||Personal Management Skills 2||3|
|DHHR 0603||Career Choice Skills 1||3|
|DHHR 0604||Job Search Skills 1||2|
|DHHR 0605||Work Experience 1||1|
|DHHR 0621||Academic Skills 3||3|
|DHHR 0622||Personal Management Skills 3||3|
|DHHR 0613||Career Choice Skills 2||2|
|DHHR 0623||Career Choices 3||1|
|DHHR 0614||Job Search Skills 2||2|
|DHHR 0624||Job Search Skills 3||3|
|DHHR 0615||Work Experience 2||2|
|DHHR 0625||Work Experience 3||2|
Note: Term 1 courses must be completed successfully before being admitted to Term 2.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.