A week of easy lunches: Day 3
Live Well for Less
VCC chef Hamid Salimian presents a week of lunches that are easy, tasty and inexpensive. Here is day three in the series of seven, where our chef prepares Thai chicken soup with noodles.
- Chicken bones from day one's roast chicken
- 1 finger of ginger
- ½ an onion
- 1 lemon grass
- 2 star anise
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 clove
- Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Thai basil
- ¼ lemon or lime
- ½ cup cleaned cilantro
- Water to cover the bones
Step 1: Making the chicken stock
- Place all ingredients in a stock pot.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer on low for two hours.
- Strain through a fine strainer.
Step 2: Adding the noodles and flavouring
- Cook one serving of the rice noodles, following the directions on the package.
- Add ¼ cup Thai basil.
- Mix in ¼ serrano pepper for some spice.
- Then mix in 1 tbsp. of Hoisin sauce