What you will learn
Upon successful completion of the Career Awareness Certificate students will be able to:
- develop a personal, education and career plan
- describe reasonable education/workplace accommodations/adjustments and supports and use strategies to assist in skill acquisition
- apply safety practices and principles at work
- conduct themselves in a professional manner in the workplace, consistent with industry standards
- work with limited direct supervision while developing an employable skill
- apply health and wellness concepts to personal, educational, and employment goals
What to expect
The training needs of the student are met through a program that includes community awareness, generic work skills, specific skill training, career exploration, and work practicum placements.
The program consists of classroom learning activities, three (3) work practicums, and two (2) planning meetings. Orientation and introduction to basic job readiness skills and career exploration is complemented by industry tours. Classroom learning components alternate with work practicum placements suited to the student’s strengths and abilities.
Planning meetings monitor students’ progress in the program, set goals, and identify strategies for success. Participation of family members or support persons is at the student’s discretion.
Students benefit from a realistic and practical exposure to the workplace through work practicum placements. Faculty work closely with students to determine interests and abilities when choosing work sites. The instructor provides ongoing support to the student while he/she is at a work experience site, and the student is expected to work independently once familiar with required duties.
- Admission is based on two (2) screening interviews
- The first screening interview is with the CACE Student Services Assistant for Students with Disabilities to determine the applicant’s suitability for the program, according to an admission checklist
- If the applicant is successful in the first interview, they will have a second interview with the Career Awareness faculty
- Interviews are documented and a checklist is used to determine eligibility
- Applicants may be asked to sign a release of information so documentation can be provided to faculty to support the application
- Admissibility is based on the following criteria:
- Permission of the department
- Diagnosis or history that identifies difficulty with learning
- Comfort and tolerance of an alternative learning environment designed for students with diverse learning needs
- Proven motivation to work and perform tasks without ongoing direct supervision, supported by previous reports or assessments
- Ability and willingness to travel independently to the college and workplace
- A checklist is used to document behaviours, emotional problems, or medical conditions that could significantly impair learning or compromise the safety of the student and/or others
- Independently manage own medication
- Demonstrate appropriate personal hygiene, and have the ability to independently attend to personal care needs
- Students in this program may be required to complete a CRC prior to their practicum placement. The CRC must be completed according to VCC's Criminal Record Check instructions. Students whose CRC results indicate they pose a risk to vulnerable populations will not be able to complete the requirements of the program (e.g. practicums) or graduate.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants who self-identify as Indigenous are strongly encouraged to connect with VCC’s university transfer team to learn more about VCC’s Indigenous Enrolment policy, application preparation/completion, program advising, and a range of other individualized services.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and other documents as required by their course or program. Seats are offered to eligible applicants with completed applications, in order of application completion date (except for programs with competitive admissions). A complete application includes an application form, evidence of educational pre-requisites (e.g. transcripts), any required supporting documents (e.g. language proficiency, audition video), and the required deposit or fee payment. If you do not meet the requirements for the term applied, your application may be cancelled.
- sincere motivation to work
- mature attitude
- stable living situation
- ability to operate independently in the community without supervision
- have a community support network
The program consists of approximately 26 weeks of classroom activities and 12 weeks of supervised community work experiences matched to the student's interests and abilities.
|CAAW 0631||Education/Employment Exploration||5|
|CAAW 0632||Employability and Workplace Skills||5|
|CAAW 0633||Communication Skills||5|
|CAAW 0634||Personal Awareness & Wellness||4|
|CAAW 0635||Literacy, Numeracy, Digital Tech||3|
|CAAW 0636||Job Search and Interview Skills||4|
|CAAW 0637||Practicum 1||3|
|CAAW 0638||Practicum 2||4|
|CAAW 0639||Practicum 3||5|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
Textbooks or other supplies may be required for this program. For information and prices please contact email@example.com.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.