COVID-19 – latest update for VCC students and employeesPosted on March 25, 2020, reviewed on March 31, 2020
VCC is committed to the health and safety of our students, staff, and faculty. The VCC Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) continues to meet regularly throughout the week to actively monitor the situation surrounding COVID-19 and liaise with local and provincial health authorities. The EOC will continue to put plans in place for timely responses to the VCC community, as needed.
VCC’s senior leadership team also continues to meet daily to evaluate and respond to the rapidly evolving COVID-19 outbreak.
In response to this unprecedented situation, VCC has implemented the following measures, which are aligned with advice from public health authorities, and provincial government:
- VCC campuses are open with limited access to students. See below for details.
- All face-to-face classes and services for students have been paused for the time being and are currently being delivered by alternative delivery methods, including online.
- All college events have been cancelled until further notice.
- VCC employees are working remotely wherever possible.
- All non-essential college travel is suspended.
ACCESS TO CAMPUS SERVICES
VCC campuses are operating, with restricted access. In-person services have moved online and are using alternative modes of delivery.
To ensure that VCC is actively supporting physical distancing recommendations from the health authorities, we are temporarily moving all in-person, on-campus services for students and the public to online/phone-call-only options.
- Downtown campus: Access to the Downtown campus is 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday. Students must bring VCC or government-issued ID and a letter from their program identifying them as an active student. Students are to enter through the Dunsmuir St. entrance. Security will have you sign in and provide you access.
- Broadway campus: Access to the Broadway campus is 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Friday. Access to the campus is restricted, and students may enter the campus either through 7th Ave. or the Broadway entrances. Please note that ALL in-person/face-to-face on-campus services are closed.
- Annacis Island campus: Access to the Annacis Island campus is 5:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Friday.
See VCC’s COVID-19 FAQ page for details on how to access college services online.
VCC’s Spring 2020 convocation (originally scheduled for Wednesday, June 10, 2020) is postponed. VCC is looking at alternatives to celebrate the accomplishments of our students. Including the possibility of holding an additional ceremony in conjunction with our Fall 2020 ceremony. However, this will be dependent on being able to ensure everyone's health and safety to gather in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
VCC will be in contact with our graduates as additional information becomes available.
All face-to-face classes have been temporarily paused and classes that are currently being delivered by alternative methods (i.e. online) will continue. Alternative program delivery continues in collaboration with academic leaders, deans, and directors and is determined by individual VCC departments. Instructors will contact students with guidance about alternative modes, which may include online instruction and assessment. This process will be in place for the foreseeable future.
If you have any questions regarding your programs or classes, departmental contact information can be found at https://www.vcc.ca/directory/
Withdrawal deadlines have been extended for those currently taking classes. Students can withdraw up to the final day of class and receive a grade of 'W' for their course.
VCC students requesting a withdrawal can either submit the Course Drop/Add and Program Withdrawal form (PDF) form or e-mail the Registrar’s Office at email@example.com. Please provide your name, student ID number, and the name of the course or program you wish to withdraw from.
Additional announcements will be coming soon to address:
- Courses available in the Spring and Summer 2020 terms, and associated start dates
- Information on practicums, experiential, and workplace learning placements
STAFF AND ONGOING OPERATIONS OF VCC
VCC operations continue in order to provide quality learning and training opportunities in alternate ways – learners will not be left behind and will be prepared for future opportunities.
Many VCC staff have transitioned to working remotely during this challenging time. For those employees who want to work from the campus, or need to provide critical on-campus supports, we ask you to actively support 'physical distancing' recommendations from the health authorities. Please refer to VCC’s Situational awareness document on myVCC.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS
As a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, you may be worried about the health and safety of yourself or your family and friends. This is a challenging and uncertain time. It is not uncommon to experience higher levels of stress and feelings of being overwhelmed. If this is your experience, please seek help and support.
Counselling and supports are available online to students and VCC employees who are affected by COVID-19. We encourage everyone who may need support at this time to contact one of the following services:
Employees: Employee & Family Assistance Program
The B.C. Ministry of Health has also developed a COVID-19 symptom self-assessment tool to help determine whether you may need further assessment or testing for COVID-19.
Guidance and recommendations from the Provincial Health Officer are available online at the BC Pandemic Preparedness website.
Monitor the BC Centre for Disease Control website for updates, information, and resources.