Let's save some energy
Posted on October 1, 2013
October is Power Smart month in B.C. At VCC, we’re calling it Lights Out October.
President Kathy Kinloch says, “Turning off the lights when we leave our offices and classrooms helps VCC achieve its energy conservation goals and contributes to the City of Vancouver’s larger goal of being the world’s greenest city by 2020.”
A few simple strategies to reduce our environmental impact by saving energy:
- When possible, use natural light in your office or classroom. Open the blinds and leave the lights off.
- Always turn off the lights when leaving an unoccupied room, no matter what time of day.
- Use a small desk lamp instead of using overhead lights.
Did you know?
- Only a few classrooms at VCC have automatic sensors.
- Lighting accounts for 20–30 per cent of energy use at VCC.
- Lighting on both campuses takes enough energy to power over 4500 homes.
- A single classroom consumes the equivalent of 1.8 litres of gasoline when the lights are left on overnight.