What you will learn
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Apply the skills and knowledge necessary to perform as an entry level computer repair technician, television repair technician, appliance repair technician and mobile device repair technician.
- Evaluate completed repairs for consistency, accuracy and quality according to industry specifications and standards.
- Adhere to industry health and safety standards in the repair and reconditioning of consumer electronics and appliances.
- Practice professional etiquette and personal hygiene while performing repairs.
- Work effectively as a team member while performing repairs.
What to expect
Daily instructional time is divided equally between classroom activity and practical workshop experience, with the proportion of workshop time increasing during the first three terms.
Classroom activity consists of lectures, demonstrations, audio-visual presentations and exercises that provide a practical working knowledge of concepts discussed. Extensive workshop experience is provided to reinforce theoretical concepts, develop hand skills and achieve familiarity with a variety of electronic equipment and apparatus.
During the first week of instruction, students will be given an orientation to the program and the facilities of the College.
English 11 with a C- or equivalent
OR Academic IELTS 6.0 (no band less than 5.5)
OR TOEFL 70
OR English Language Proficiency at the Grade 11 level
Apprentice and Workplace Math 10 with a C- or equivalent
Departmental approval based on relevant experience will be considered
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written English.
- Good finger and hand dexterity and hand-eye co-ordination for working with small electronic components.
- Good logical and numerical problem-solving aptitude.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Methodical and well organized.
- Personal hygiene suitable to a customer service environment.
- Punctual and responsible.
|ELRT 1002||Direct Current (DC) Circuit Analysis||3|
|ELRT 1001||Alternating Current (AC) Basics||3|
|ELRT 1003||Power Supply Fundamentals||3|
|ELRT 1004||Technical Skills 1||5|
|ELRT 1005||Introduction to Lean Six Sigma||1|
|ELRT 1200||Customer Service Essentials||1|
|ELRT 1201||Measurement & Instrumentation in Samsung Service||3|
|ELRT 1203||Technical Skills 2||5|
|ELRT 1204||Software for Repair Technicians||3|
|ELRT 2102||Principles of Management||3|
|ELRT 1202||Samsung Systems and Controls||3|
|ELRT 2100||Business Mathematics||3|
|ELRT 2001||Introduction to Computer Hardware||3|
|ELRT 2101||The Canadian Economy||3|
|ELRT 2003||LCD Monitor and Television Repair||3|
|ELRT 2002||Mobile Device Repair||3|
|ELRT 2004||Technical Skills 3||6|
|ELRT 2103||Communications in the Canadian Workplace||3|
|ELRT 2104||Organizational Behaviour||3|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||550|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.