Career FAQ: Dental Technology Sciences Diploma
Posted on October 4, 2021
VCC is the only public post-secondary institution in B.C. offering a Dental Technology Sciences Diploma. Students learn traditional and digital technologies used in the design and fabrication of dental restorative prostheses, orthodontic appliances, and implant-supported restorations to work as professional and licensed Dental Technicians.
What do dental technicians do?
- Design and make dental devices like crowns and bridges, dentures, orthodontics, and sports and night guards
Where might VCC graduates find employment?
- There are well over 200 registered dental laboratories in British Columbia. Most laboratories are in Metro Vancouver, and many on Vancouver Island and in the interior regions of the province.
- Laboratory sizes can range from a one-person operation to corporations employing more than 200 persons.
How does VCC connect students to employment opportunities?
- This program includes a 15-week external practicum during the 5th Semester.
- Students are placed in commercial laboratories with invaluable experiential learning, and the placement provides an excellent opportunity to develop a network of potential employers.
- Employers reach out to the VCC in search of possible employees, as there is a shortage of skilled dental technicians in our province.
How much do VCC graduates make?
- New graduate: $20 - $21 per hour
- Alumni: $25 – $40 per hour
- Many VCC alumni become supervisors and Laboratory Owners with more earnings.
- Annual Median Salary in B.C.: approximately $50,000
What are some examples of recent job opportunities as of September 2021?
What are the admissions requirements?
- Grade 12 graduation
- IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0), or Duolingo 105, or equivalent
- Human Biology 12 with a C+
- One of the following with a C+ grade: Chemistry 11, Math 11 or Physics 11
- Qualified applicants will be required to have an interview with VCC
More Information about this program?
Interested in applying to VCC to begin your study journey in Canada? Book a 15-minute Zoom session with an International Student Advisor to learn more.
Follow us on Instagram and Facebook group to learn more about the International news.