Temporary Residents Registering in Continuing Studies Part-Time Courses

Temporary Residents Registering in Continuing Studies Part-time Courses

Temporary Residents, which includes international students, work permit holders, and visitors, can register in the short-term individual course(s) or a program offered through the Continuing Studies department. Before proceeding with your online registration, you must review the following information in order to determine your eligibility to register.  By continuing your registration, you are confirming that you have read and acknowledged the information as outlined.

  1. Temporary residents can register in a short-term program or course that is 6 months or under without obtaining a valid study permit as per R188(1)(c).
  2. You are responsible for confirming your immigration eligibility to enroll in Continuing Studies course(s)/program according to your current immigration status. Should you have questions about your immigration status, you may contact IRCC by phone at 1-888-242-2100 or by using the online IRCC Web Form.
  3. VCC will not issue letters to support any immigration application for any part-time Continuing Studies programs or courses. For example, we cannot issue a letter of acceptance or a study permit extension letter to apply for/renew a study permit. Your current immigration status must cover the entire duration of the program/course you would like to register in.
  4. Part-time CS programs are not eligible for off-campus work (unless you are already in possession of a valid work permit). They are also not eligible for the post-graduate work permit.
  5. Programs/courses that are delivered exclusively online and do not require in-person attendance can be taken outside of Canada and would not require a temporary resident document.
  6. Vancouver Community College will not be held responsible should you not be compliant with your immigration status.
  7. The following CS certificates/diplomas are NOT available for Temporary Residents as they have a Work or Practicum Component. Individual courses are available for registration. 
    • Building Service Worker Certificate
    • Paralegal Certificate
    • Paralegal Diploma
    • Counselling Skills Foundational Certificate
    • Addiction Counselling Skills – Advanced Certificate
    • Early Childhood Care and Education Certificate
  8. The following programs AND individual courses within the program are NOT available for Temporary Residents.
    • Fashion Design & Production Certificate
    • Medical Device Reprocessing Technician Certificate 
  9. The following courses also require departmental approval. Please contact the Continuing Studies office to obtain department information in order to verify if you can register for these courses.
    • Early Childhood Care and Education courses
    • Counselling courses
    • Paralegal courses


This webpage has been reviewed by our Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) at Vancouver Community College. This information could change at any time based on updates to Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regulations. It is the responsibility of the applicant to review updates from IRCC on their website: www.cic.gc.ca.