What you will learn
Upon successful completion of the Administrative Professional 1 Certificate, students will be able to:
- Use correct keyboarding technique to a minimum speed of 30 gwpm on a five-minute test with a maximum of five errors
- Use basic features of Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Prepare a wide variety of business documents that meet the comprehensive demands of today's office by correctly using Word and applying spelling, grammar, punctuation, and proofreading skills
- Professionally greet visitors by phone and in person, and take messages
- Use common office equipment
- Communicate effectively in the workplace
- Create job search documents and participate appropriately in job interviews
- Demonstrate respectful and ethical workplace behaviour
What to expect
The courses use lectures and readings to explain material and uses assignments to put this information into practice. Where appropriate, theory may also be presented through videos, demonstrations, and guest lectures.
The majority of class time is devoted to training in practical computer skills, building business communications skills, and keyboarding. Additionally, students are guided in the creation of a professional résumé and other job-search documents.
Students are required to work both in groups and individually.
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- English 12 with a minimum 'C-' grade or Communications 12 with a minimum 'B' grade or equivalent
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
Students need to be able to sit for extended periods and work on computers.
|OADM 1104||Word 1||2.5|
|OADM 1102||Keyboarding 1||3|
|OADM 1105||Business Writing 1||2.5|
|OADM 1108||Business Writing 2||2.5|
|OADM 1107||Office Skills 1||2.5|
|OADM 1109||Job Search||2.5|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||280|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5