What you will learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply the Gladue approach to write a holistic, individualized, and objective Gladue report that assists the Canadian Judicial System in making well-informed decisions
- Apply a narrative and trauma-informed approach to gather, analyze, and communicate information for a Gladue Report
- Identify and describe the legal history and legislation informing Gladue rights
- Act professionally and ethically as a Gladue Writer
- Explain the impact of colonialism on Indigenous peoples and their relationship with the Canadian Judicial System
What to expect
Courses are delivered through a combination of face-to-face and online instructional activities including, but not limited to, lectures, seminars, group discussion and activities, demonstrations, guest lectures, videos, clinical simulations, and field trips.
- English 12 with a minimum 'C+' grade, or equivalent
- Letter of intent
- Successful interview with the department based on criteria reflecting the recommended student characteristics
- To participate in capstone/practicum you may need security clearance
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Program options for international students can be found at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Awareness of community support services
- Awareness of the Canadian judicial system
- Appreciation of Indigenous cultures and history
- Good writing skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Interest or passion for Indigenous justice
This program must be completed within three years.
|GLDU 1201||Professionalism in Gladue Report Writing||1|
|GLDU 1203||Impacts of Colonization Past and Present||2|
|GLDU 1205||Indigenous People and the Canadian Judicial System||2|
|GLDU 1207||Capturing the Sacred Story||2|
|GLDU 1209||Gladue Report Writing||2|
|GLDU 1211||Gladue Report Capstone||9|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.