What you will learn
Upon successful completion of the Interior design Certificate students will be able to:
- Communicate orally, visually, and in written form with all stakeholders in a residential interior design project, at every stage from concept through completion.
- Apply innovative and critical thinking to conceptualize, illustrate, and present projects that incorporate all of the elements and principles of design.
- Select and specify suitable and sustainable lighting fixtures, colours, textiles, materials, and finishes for a variety of residential interior design projects.
- Describe historical trends in furniture design and interpret and appraise current and emerging design trends.
- Draft floor plans, elevations, mechanical plans, and reflected ceiling plans that adhere to BC Building Code and client requirements.
- Create a portfolio suitable for employment applications and identify and assess a range of industry-related employment opportunities.
- Exhibit positive, professional, and ethical behaviors that maximize employment opportunities.
What to expect
The Interior Design Certificate program is built on the belief that a practical, hands-on demonstration of skills, attitudes, and abilities is the most effective way for graduates to show that they have met program outcomes. The curriculum is designed to be motivational, engaging, and ensure that students develop the skills to contribute effectively to the design environment.
Students are required to demonstrate competence in the skills and concepts learned during the course. Throughout the program, instructors provide concise, transparent assessment criteria and ongoing, insightful feedback. Students will graduate with a portfolio that showcases their achievements, knowledge, strengths, and skills.
Both the classroom and field environments utilize interactive, learner-oriented teaching and assessment strategies that are modified as appropriate to accommodate students' individual learning needs. Students' training and professional development is enhanced through diverse learning activities, a small-class environment, and consistent feedback from the instructor.
To support the development of self-motivation and discipline, some of the theoretical and technical aspects of the program involve an independent learning component.
This certificate requires 444 classroom hours and an appropriate amount of homework to ensure student success.
Performance-based teaching and learning approaches utilized by the program:
- Guided discussion
- Group work
- Case studies
- Field trips
- Role plays
- Student-led seminars
- Design critique and analysis
This program is open to individuals who wish to take one or more courses. Intention to complete the certificate is not a requirement for entry. Individuals must have Grade 12 level English (C+) or the equivalent.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Program options for international students can be found at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Passionate about design
- Enthusiastic, energetic team player
- Hard-working, detail-oriented, thorough
- Positive attitude
- Polite, personable
- Basic computer literacy
This program must be completed within five years.
|INTD 1305||Design Basics||3|
|INTD 1310||Basic Drafting Concepts||3|
|INTD 1315||Design Drawing||3|
|INTD 1320||Colour Theory and Application||2|
|INTD 1325||History of Furniture||3|
|INTD 1330||Materials and Finishes||2|
|INTD 1340||Design Today||2|
|INTD 1350||AutoCAD for Interior Designers||3|
|INTD 1355||Residential Design||3|
|INTD 1360||Design for Small Spaces||3|
|INTD 1365||Design Specifications||2|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.