What you will learn
- Technical drafting tools: AutoCAD, Autodesk Revit Structure, Civil 3D
- Drafting terminology, conventions, and annotation
- Residential and commercial/retail building concepts
- Drawing from data, designs, and/or specifications
- Technical mathematics
- Construction site safety
- 3D and building information modelling (BIM)
- Orthographic projection
- Sectioning and dimensioning
- Auxiliary view
- Machine detailing
- Architectural theory
- Single- and multi-family residences
- Site planning
- Sustainable initiatives (e.g. LEED)
- Building assemblies
- Envelope design
- Climate-specific materials
- Wood framing
- Light steel framing
- Concrete block construction
- Commercial layouts and accessibility
- Residential and commercial building codes and bylaws
- Technical communications
- Portfolio development
- Résumés and application letters
- Job-search skills and interviews
What to expect
- 10 months of full-time study
- Classes full time days
- Project-based learning
- Laboratory work
- Individual projects
- Theory examinations
- Practical/drawing assessments
- Opportunity to advance into a CAD and BIM Technician diploma program*
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- English Language Proficiency at a grade 12 level or CLB/CLBPT Listening 8, Speaking 7, Reading 8, and Writing 7
- Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 11 or equivalent or VCC Math Assessment with 80% Basic Arithmetic and 72% Basic Algebra
- Applicants who do not meet the English language requirement may be admitted at the discretion of the Department
- Applicants who have met all the above requirements and have completed high school Drafting 11 and 12 may, with Departmental approval, apply for direct entry into Level 2 of the program.
For assistance with meeting the entrance requirements, please contact Advising Services to schedule an appointment with an Advisor.
Applicants who have met the above requirements and completed Drafting 11 and 12 in high school can apply for direct entry into Level 2 of the program.
VCC CAD Citation graduates may insert into level 2 of the program.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Excellent English communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Windows OS is strongly recommended.
- Good mathematical and mechanical comprehension.
- Ability to work in imperial and metric units of measurement.
- General good health, good hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- Successful work habits and an ability to work well with others.
- Logical reasoning and an ability to visualize objects.
- Interest in all aspects of architecture, engineering, general construction and related fields.
Program general hours
This program will run Monday to Wednesday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
|DRFT 1010||CAD Drafting Fundamentals||4|
|DRFT 1011||CAD Drafting Applied||3|
|DRFT 1012||Office & Construct Site Safety||1|
|DRFT 1013||Construction Mathematics||1|
|DRFT 1270||Residential Design||1|
|DRFT 1271||Site Planning||1|
|DRFT 1272||Code and Regulations 1||1|
|DRFT 1273||Construction Assemblies 1||1|
|DRFT 1274||Single Family Residences||5|
|DRFT 1275||Codes and Regulations 2||1|
|DRFT 1276||Construction Assemblies 2||1|
|DRFT 1277||Multi Family Residences||3.5|
|DRFT 1278||Drawing Plan Reading||0.5|
|DRFT 1326||Job Search Skills||0.5|
|DRFT 1370||Technical Communications||1|
|DRFT 1371||Codes and Regulations 3||1|
|DRFT 1372||Construction Assemblies 3||1|
|DRFT 1373||Commercial Retail Buildings||3|
|DRFT 1374||Introduction to 3D and BIM||3.5|
|DRFT 1375||Commercial Layouts Using BIM||6|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
1442 - Level 1
2402 - Level 2
2562 - Level 3
0 - Level 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||280|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
† Statistics Canada Labour Force Survey