What you will learn
- Development of authentic and compelling VR/AR experiences
- Exploration and analysis of visual and experiential problems
- Production tools, programming, and game engines, including Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest, HTC Vive, Unreal, and Unity
- Project management processes
- Industry expectations
- Effective communication for the technology sector
- VR/AR portfolio development
What to expect
- Classroom lectures
- Field trips
- Group work
- Guest speakers
- Applied practical experiences
- Assignments and projects
- Theoretical and practical tests and exams
- Terms 2 and 3 to be delivered at Vancouver Film School (VFS)
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- English 12 with a minimum 'C+' grade or equivalent
- English Language Proficiency assessed at English 12 'C+'
- Pre-calculus 12 with a minimum 'B' grade or equivalent
Please note that individual courses may have additional pre-requisites.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Proficient in the English language with good oral and written communication skills.
- Creative, motivated and positive attitude towards learning.
- Good analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Interested in emerging technologies and the technology sector.
- Familiar and comfortable using VR headsets.
Program general hours
This program will run Monday to Thursday from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm, excluding elective courses.
|Term 1 is completed at VCC|
|SCIE 1110||Professional Communication||3|
|CMPT 1010||Introduction to Computer Programming 1||3|
|CMPT 1030||Introduction to Game Engines||3|
|CMPT 1040||Introduction to 2D/3D Asset Creation||3|
|Elective in the School of Arts and Sciences University Transfer department||3|
|Term 2 is completed at Vancouver Film School|
|Trends in VR/AR Development||3|
|Human Centred Design||3|
|Asset Creation for VR/AR||3|
|Data Structures and Algorithms||3|
|Term 3 is completed at Vancouver Film School|
|User Experience and Interface Design||3|
|VR/AR Client Project||3|
|Final Project Polish and Presentation Lab|
|Term 4 is completed at VCC|
|CMPT 2030||Industry Practicum||19|
Note: Students must declare their intention of completing the VR/AR Design and Development Diploma prior to taking courses. Courses are open to any student who meets the general and specific requirements for the course.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5