Counselling vs. Advising Appointments
Here are some sample statements and questions that indicate whether a student or prospect should make an appointment with a counsellor or a program advisor:
- I don't know what career to choose.
- I want to go back to school but I'm not sure which field would be best for me.
- I can't handle my course load and I'm worried I will not be successful.
- I'm not sure if I'm making good choices about my future.
- I become very anxious when I take a test and can't remember anything.
- I think I may have a learning disability.
- I have a diagnosed learning disability and need a tutor to help me with my studies.
- I'm feeling really down and scared.
- I am not sleeping and I have no appetite.
- I am having problems at home that are affecting my studies.
- I am interested in a career but need more information.
- I would like to have some career testing.
- I am not sure what to do with my life. I need help with life planning.
- What are the admission requirements?
- I want to apply to a VCC program but I don't know how to get started.
- I'm not sure where I can complete the prerequisites for this program.
- What does this program train me to do?
- I know which career I would like but I need more information on the educational requirements.
- I need to drop a course and would like to revise my educational plan.
- What education or training is needed to work in this field?
- Can I transfer this course elsewhere?
- Will universities recognize this program or these courses?
- Can I continue my studies at another college or at university?
- I didn't graduate. What are the ways that I can complete Grade 12?
- I have difficulty writing essays. What course can help me improve?