What you will learn
- Technical drafting software: AutoCAD, Autodesk Revit Structure, Inventor, Civil 3D
- Drafting terminology, conventions, and annotation
- Drawing from data, designs, and/or specifications
- Technical mathematics
- Construction site safety
- 3D and building information modelling (BIM)
- Orthographic projection
- Sectioning and dimensioning
- Auxiliary view
- Machine detailing
- Structural analysis
- Civil technology and planning
- Engineering theories and drawings
- Reinforced concrete and structural steel
- Construction site layout, mapping, and plotting
- Cut and fill practices
- Drainage and sub-surface investigation
- Road layouts and corridor design
- Land subdivision and terrain models
- Highway intersections
- Steel framing systems and construction
- Steel-reinforced concrete
- Foundation plans and grade beams
- Civil utilities, pipe networks, sanitary systems
- Steel stairs and platforms
- Critical thinking
- Team building
- Interpersonal communication
- Technical communications
- Portfolio development
- Résumés and application letters
- Job-search skills and interviews
What to expect
- Project-based learning
- Laboratory work
- Individual projects
- Theory examinations
- Practical/drawing assessments
- Opportunity to advance into a CAD and BIM Technician diploma program*
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- English Language Proficiency at a grade 12 level or CLB/CLBPT Listening 8, Speaking 7, Reading 8, and Writing 7
- Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 11 or equivalent or VCC Math Assessment with 80% Basic Arithmetic and 72% Basic Algebra
- Applicants who do not meet the English language requirement may be admitted at the discretion of the Department
- Applicants who have met all the above requirements and have completed high school Drafting 11 and 12 may, with Departmental approval, apply for direct entry into Level 2 of the program.
For assistance with meeting the entrance requirements, please contact Advising Services to schedule an appointment with an Advisor.
VCC CAD Citation graduates may insert into level 2 of the program.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Excellent English communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Windows OS is strongly recommended.
- Good mathematical and mechanical comprehension.
- Ability to work in imperial and metric units of measurement.
- General good health, good hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- Successful work habits and an ability to work well with others.
- Logical reasoning and an ability to visualize objects.
- Interest in all aspects of architecture, engineering, general construction and related fields.
Program general hours
Monday to Wednesday 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
|DRFT 1010||CAD Drafting Fundamentals||4|
|DRFT 1011||CAD Drafting Applied||3|
|DRFT 1012||Office & Construct Site Safety||1|
|DRFT 1013||Construction Mathematics||1|
|DRFT 1226||Construction Drawing Reading||1|
|DRFT 1280||Industrial Site Layout||3|
|DRFT 1281||Autodesk Civil 3D||2|
|DRFT 1282||Road Alignment Detailing||2|
|DRFT 1283||Steel Structures||3|
|DRFT 1284||Princ for Reinforced Concrete||1|
|DRFT 1285||Foundation Design Concepts||1|
|DRFT 1286||Engineering Statics||2|
|DRFT 1326||Job Search Skills||0.5|
|DRFT 1327||Revit Structures||2|
|DRFT 1330||Advanced Road Design||2|
|DRFT 1331||Civil Utility Services||2|
|DRFT 1370||Technical Communications||1|
|DRFT 1380||CAD 3D and Assemblies||2|
|DRFT 1381||Miscellaneous Steel||1|
|DRFT 1383||Quantity Take Offs||0.5|
|DRFT 1384||Concrete Slab on Grade Flr Sys||2|
|DRFT 1385||Reinforced Concret Struc Comp||3|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
1442 - Level 1
2402 - Level 2
2562 - Level 3
0 - Level 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||280|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
† Statistics Canada Labour Force Survey