What you will learn
- Professional communication
- Health care terminology
- Safety in a health care environment
- Professionalism and ethics
- Problem solving, critical thinking, decision making, and prioritizing
- Medical information literacy and medical transcription
- Quality management in a health care environment
- Patient records management and medical billing
- Physician assistance and clinical procedures
- Chronic disease management protocols
- Medical and business computer applications
- Word processing and data management
- Keyboarding skills
What to expect
- Two terms of integrated training
- Lectures, seminars, and demonstrations
- Group work and student presentations
- Case simulations, exercises, and role practice
- Computer lab work
- Written exams
- Journal writing
- Three-week practicum experience
- Grade 12 graduation, or equivalent
- English language proficiency demonstrated by one of the following:
- English 12 with a C+ grade, or
- English language proficiency, or equivalent
- A proctored keyboarding test with a speed of a minimum of 25 gross words per minute on a 5-minute test with a maximum of 5 errors using the touch-typing method.
- Criminal Record Check (CRC): Students in this program may be required to complete a CRC prior to their practicum placement. The CRC must be completed according to VCC's Criminal Record Check instructions.
The following health precautions are highly recommended for students in this program and may be required by some practicum hosts:
- A negative TB skin test, or if the skin test is positive, then proof of a negative TB chest X-ray
- An immunization record showing current vaccinations for, or immunity to
- Hepatitis B,
- Varicella (chicken pox)
- Influenza, completed annually (highly recommended)
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants who self-identify as Indigenous are strongly encouraged to connect with VCC’s Indigenous Education and Community Engagement team to learn more about VCC’s Indigenous Enrolment policy, application preparation/completion, program advising, and a range of other individualized services.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and other documents as required by their course or program. Seats are offered to eligible applicants with completed applications, in order of application completion date (except for programs with competitive admissions). A complete application includes an application form, evidence of educational pre-requisites (e.g. transcripts), any required supporting documents (e.g. language proficiency, audition video), and the required deposit or fee payment. If you do not meet the requirements for the term applied, your application may be cancelled.
- Ability to relate with clients, colleagues, and staff in a tactful and courteous manner
- Personal hygiene, grooming, and appearance acceptable to a medical environment
- High standard of honesty, integrity, and professionalism
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to complete tasks and skills required for medical dictation
- Attention to detail, accuracy, patience, and ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to organize, problem-solve, and set priorities
- Good human relation skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Basic computer literacy and ability to adapt to and learn new software
Program general hours
Monday to Thursday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. with the exception of practicum experiences.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Students may request formal recognition of prior learning attained through informal education, work, or other life experience, including Indigenous ways of knowing. Credits may be granted to students who are able to sufficiently demonstrate the learning outcomes of specific courses.
PLAR is available for the following courses:
- ?MEDC 1141 Medical Terminology for Medical Office Assistant 1
- MEDC 1142 Medical Terminology for Medical Office Assistant 2
- MEDC 1151 Medical Speed & Accuracy for Medical Office Assistant 1
- MEDC 1236 Medical Speed & Accuracy for Medical Office Assistant 2
Methods for assessing prior learning may include exams, portfolios, interviews, and other evaluations. Please contact the Department for details.
|MEDC 1125||Administrative Procedures for Medical Office Assistant||3.0|
|MEDC 1141||Medical Terminology for Medical Office Assistant 1||4.0|
|MEDC 1151||Medical Speed & Accuracy for Medical Office Assistant 1||1.5|
|MEDC 1142||Medical Terminology for Medical Office Assistant 2||4.0|
|MEDC 1132||Human Relation Skills||1|
|MEDC 1160||Electronic Communications for Medical Office Assistants||1.5|
|MEDC 1236||Medical Speed & Accuracy for Medical Office Assistant 2||2|
|MEDC 1250||Medical Documentation||2|
|MEDC 1270||Medical Billing for Medical Office Assistant||1.5|
|MEDC 1259||Clinical Procedures||2|
|MEDC 1260||Medical Office Assistant Practicum||3|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
0 (0 non-refundable)
Tution deposits are payable usually within two (2) weeks after a Letter of Offer is issued.
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
1184 - Term 1
1184 - Term 2
0 - Term 3
0 - Term 4
0 - Term 5
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical and Dental||0|
|Temporary Medical Insurance||0|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
OPEN DATE APPLICATION STATUS*
† 2018 Job Bank wage data