Gain the knowledge and skills to manage patient records, medical billing and scheduling, and to perform clinical procedures and other administrative duties in various health care environments.
What you will learn
- Professional communication
- Health care terminology
- Safety in a health care environment
- Professionalism and ethics
- Problem solving, critical thinking, decision making
- Information literacy and medical transcription
- Quality management in a health care environment
- Patient records management and medical billing
- Physician assistance and clinical procedures
- Chronic disease management protocols
- Medical and business computer applications
- Word processing and data management
- Keyboarding skills
What to expect
- Two terms of integrated training
- Lectures, seminars, and demonstrations
- Group work and student presentations
- Case simulations, exercises, and role practice
- Computer lab work
- Written exams
- Journal writing
- Three-week practicum experience
Grade 12 graduation, or equivalent
- English Language Proficiency as demonstrated by one of the following:
- English 12 with a minimum ‘C+’ grade, or equivalent
- English Language Proficiency at an English 12 ‘C+’ level
- English 12 with a minimum ‘C+’ grade, or equivalent
- A tested keyboarding speed of a minimum of 25 gross words per minute on a 5-minute test with a maximum of 5 errors using the touch-typing method (using the appropriate fingers for each key on the keyboard and not looking at your fingers as you type).
Some practicum hosts will require their practicum students to have the following (and it is strongly recommended that all students have the following, for their own protection and the protection of patients):
- Negative TB skin test, or if the skin test is positive, then proof of a negative TB chest X-ray
- An immunization record showing current vaccinations for diphtheria/tetanus, polio, measles/mumps/rubella, hepatitis B, chicken pox, and pertussis
- An immunization record showing a current influenza vaccination
- A properly fitted respiratory mask with a N95 rating, with a valid certificate not more than one year old
- Criminal Record Check (CRC): Students in this program may be required to complete a CRC prior to their practicum placement. The CRC must be completed according to VCC's Criminal Record Check instructions. Students whose CRC results indicate they pose a risk to vulnerable populations will not be able to complete the requirements of the program (e.g. practicums) or graduate.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants who self-identify as Indigenous are strongly encouraged to connect with VCC’s Indigenous Education and Community Engagement team to learn more about VCC’s Indigenous Enrolment policy, application preparation/completion, program advising, and a range of other individualized services.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and other documents as required by their course or program. Seats are offered to eligible applicants with completed applications, in order of application completion date (except for programs with competitive admissions). A complete application includes an application form, evidence of educational pre-requisites (e.g. transcripts), any required supporting documents (e.g. language proficiency, audition video), and the required deposit or fee payment. If you do not meet the requirements for the term applied, your application may be cancelled.
Missing prerequisites? Learn more about VCC's tuition-free academic upgrading or English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, or discover which university transfer options are right for you.
- Ability to deal with clients, colleagues, and staff in a tactful and courteous manner
- Personal hygiene, grooming, and appearance acceptable to a medical environment
- High standard of honesty, integrity, and professionalism
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Good hearing and vision in order to be able to interpret medical dictation
- Attention to detail, accuracy, patience, and ability to work well under pressure
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Ability to organize, problem-solve, and set priorities
- Good human relation skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Basic computer literacy
Program general hours
Monday to Thursday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. with the exception of practicum experiences.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Available for the following courses:
MEDC 1121 Medical Speed & Accuracy 1
MEDC 1236 Med Speed & Accuracy for MOA 2
See course outlines for more information.
|MEDC 1102||Medical Administrative Procedures||2|
|MEDC 1135||Medical Terminology for MOA 1||2.5|
|MEDC 1121||Medical Speed & Accuracy 1||2|
|MEDC 1136||Medical Terminology for MOA 2||2.5|
|MEDC 1132||Human Relation Skills||1|
|MEDC 1140||E-Communications Management||2|
|MEDC 1236||Med Speed & Accuracy for MOA 2||2|
|MEDC 1250||Medical Documentation||2|
|MEDC 1201||Medical Transcription for MOA||2|
|MEDC 1210||Medical Billing||1|
|MEDC 1259||Clinical Procedures||2|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
Need help with tuition?
Explore your options for scholarships, grants, bursaries, and loans.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
OPEN DATE APPLICATION STATUS*
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5
† 2018 Job Bank wage data