What you will learn
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Integrate fundamental principles of adult learning as they apply to diverse online learning environments
- Design, develop and facilitate learning using online pedagogies and digitally enabled technologies
- Design engaging online learning experiences that reflect evidence-based approaches/strategies
- Integrate assessment strategies to measure, enhance, and guide learning and teaching
- Evaluate the effectiveness of online teaching and learning against quality assurance frameworks
- Use reflective strategies to improve professional practice and stay current in emerging educational technologies
What to expect
During this program, participants will engage in activities and strategies ranging from direct to indirect instruction, from interactive instruction to independent study as well as project-based and experiential learning. All courses are offered online.
Examples of instructional strategies include: readings and watching videos, problem analysis, case studies, discussion, course mapping, and reflective writing. All activities will take place online. The majority of activities are asynchronous with the potential of some synchronous activities.
Instructors in the Teaching Online Certificate will model excellence in online instruction and facilitate participants' achievement of the program outcomes.
- English language proficiency at an English 11 level
- Evidence of subject matter expertise (i.e. diploma, bachelors degree, trades certification, substantial work place experience) or departmental approval
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
The Certificate is appropriate from those with no teaching experience to those with substantial teaching experience but little training in instructional skills. Students should have:
- a willingness to participate in a wide variety of online instructional strategies
- the ability to work independently and with others
- familiarity with computer applications and communication tools
- a willingness to be self-directed to learn or improve skills in using educational technology including new software or applications.
The Teaching Online Certificate is NOT designed to teach use of specific technologies but rather how technology can be used to create effective learning environments.
|PIDP 3210||Curriculum Development||3|
|PIDP 3230||Evaluation of Learning||3|
|EDUC 4250||Foundations of Online Teaching and Learning||3|
|EDUC 4251||Developing and Designing Online Learning||3|
|EDUC 4252||Facilitation of Online Learning||3|
|Electives (3 credits)||3|
|Supporting Multilingual Learners|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.