What you will learn
- Apply cookery skills and theoretical knowledge to the preparation, presentation and service of a range of dishes and beverages for a commercial hospitality environment.
- Evaluate product for consistency and accuracy in yield, taste, flavour, and overall appearance according to product specifications and standards.
- Identify and describe the principles of nutrition and balanced food combinations for institutional menus.
- Adhere to industry health, safety and employment standards in the preparation, handling and storage of food and equipment.
- Apply the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary for success and sustainable professional practice in the culinary arts.
- Reflect on performance and practice to enhance professional skills needed to enter and advance in the culinary industry.
What to expect
The Professional Cook 1 ITA Youth Certificate is designed to meet the training needs of the Industry and the required training objectives established by the Industry Training Authority (ITA). Courses are delivered 4 days per week over 28 weeks.
The program is delivered in fully operational industrial kitchens, service outlets and classroom settings. Working in authentic service kitchens and outlets provides opportunity for students to develop their practical cooking and professional skills. Classroom instruction is designed for students to develop theoretical knowledge and skills required for success in the culinary industry.
The program design is based on a learning-centred and experiential approach whereby students learn through experience in authentic culinary work settings. Active student learning and participation is emphasized to promote the development of knowledge, skills and attitudes required for success in the food industry. Professional skills, such as teamwork, critical thinking, self-reflection and communication, are also emphasized throughout the program.
- English 10 or equivalent
- Math 10 or equivalent
- Valid Food Safe Level 1 Certificate
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
It is strongly recommended that applicants consider the daily tasks associated with working in a professional kitchen. These include the following Essential Skills Requirements:
- Physical condition and stamina to meet the demands of the culinary industry e.g. lift 50lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time e.g. 5 hours or more
- Good motor skill coordination
- Ability to multi-task, with strong and efficient organizational and time management skills
- Strong reading, comprehension and study skills
- Work independently
- Maturity, interpersonal & communication skills
- Some creativity is an asset
|CULI 1501||Kitchen Orientation||5|
|CULI 1502||Culinary Techniques||4|
|CULI 1503||Garde Manger & Breakfast||4|
|CULI 1504||Baking Techniques||4|
|CULI 1506||Cook Chill Production Kitchen||4|
|CULI 1507||Flavour Principles & Menus||1|
|CULI 1508||Short Order Cafe||4|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
† B.C. Labour Market Outlook 2018