There are two kinds of EAL assessments at VCC:
- CLBPT (Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test)
- VCC ELA (English Language Assessment)
The program you want to take will determine which assessment(s) you may need. A program advisor can help you learn which assessments you should take for your program.
CLBPT (Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test)
The CLBPT includes:
- a reading part (30 minutes) and a writing part (30 minutes) in a classroom
- a listening part and a speaking part with a teacher (approximately 20 minutes in a one-to-one setting)
All parts of the CLBPT are done on the same day. Plan to be at the Assessment Centre for approximately 2 hours.
VCC ELA (English Language Assessment)
There are two parts to the VCC ELA (both are done on the same day):
- the written part - 3.5 hours (includes reading, writing, listening and grammar skills, done in a classroom)
- the speaking part - 15 mins (this is a one-to-one speaking assessment with a teacher)
Morning session – speaking is scheduled after written
Evening session – speaking is scheduled before written
A brief sample of the ELA is available here. A more in-depth sample is provided when you book an appointment.
All VCC ELA appointments are held at the VCC Broadway campus. Start and end times will be provided when you make your appointment.
See the VCC ELA schedule for upcoming dates