The Assessment Centre is offering some alternative testing options at this time.
To check out what alternative options we are offering, please click on the appropriate box below.
The Assessment Centre is still open for inquiries and can be reached by email firstname.lastname@example.org or
by phone 604.871.7093 Option 2.
If you require assistance with program requirements and alternative options, please make an appointment with an Academic Advisor by calling 604.871.7000 Option 2 or schedule online at online appointment booking.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during a very challenging and very complex time.
The Duolingo English Test is an online English proficiency test that can be taken online, on-demand, in under an hour for $49 US. The test is taken via a computer (NOT a tablet, ipad or phone) with a camera and includes a proficiency score, video interview, and writing sample. Certified results will be sent to you within 48 hours of the test session.
** Before you take the Duolingo English Test, you must have a VCC ID#. If you do not have a VCC ID#, you can submit an application to the Registrar's Office https://www.vcc.ca/applying/apply-now/ OR schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor by calling 604-871-7000 Option 2 or scheduling online at online appointment booking.
After you complete the Duolingo English Test, please email the Assessment Centre email@example.com with the following information. Without this information, we will not be able to enter your scores into our student database.
1) Full Legal Name (Last name and First name)
2) VCC ID#
3) Date of Birth (ex. 05 January 1997)
4) The date you wrote the Duolingo English Test
5) The program you are applying for
6) Your email address
Here is the link to Duolingo English Test englishtest.duolingo.com/applicants. There is a practice test on their site that we suggest you use to prepare for the English test.
Who to contact for the following:
1) Questions regarding your results - Please make an appointment with an Academic Advisor by calling
604-871-7000, Option 2 or schedule online at online appointment booking.
2) Application status - Please contact the Registrar's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
VCC offers the following English assessments:
- English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- CLBPT (Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test)
- VCC ELA (VCC English Language Assessment)
- VCC ABE Reading and Writing assessments
Which assessment should you take?
A VCC advisor can help you determine which assessment you should take:
An English as an Additional Language (EAL) assessment is recommended if:
- English is your second or additional language and you have studied ESL, transitional English or communications OR
- English is your second or additional language and you have not studied at least 3 years of academic English in a Canadian high school
A VCC ABE (Adult Basic Education) Reading & Writing assessment is recommended if:
- English is your first language OR
- English is your second or additional language and you have completed at least 3 years of academic English in a Canadian high school
*It is the student's responsibility to confirm and request the correct assessment for their chosen program/course. Please consult with a VCC advisor for details.