Take your current hospitality career to the next level by learning top business practices in financial management, operations, marketing, and community engagement.
This program is currently under review and is not accepting applications.
This program is currently under review and is not accepting applications.
What you will learn
- Top hospitality business and management practices
- Planning, design, and implementation of hospitality initiatives
- Business and community impact evaluation
- Financial and operations management
- Research and statistical analysis
- E-business and social media marketing
- Current events and change management
- Effective communication in the local, national, and global hospitality market
- Formal and informal meeting procedures
- Labour relations, ethics, and hospitality-related law
- Cultural diversity in British Columbia and Canada
- Community leadership and issue resolution
What to expect
Program Duration and Maximum Time for Completion
- A mix of face-to-face courses and online courses designed for working professionals
- Cohort model of instruction
- Independent study project related to the student’s professional interests
- Modern case analysis
- Community service
- Computer simulations
- Problem-centered learning
- Lectures, seminars, and group discussions
- Oral presentations
- Reflective writing
- Research papers and case studies
- Individual and group projects
- Final exams
Admission options include:
1. Standard Admission: An earned two-year diploma of at least 60-credits in hospitality management, business or a related field of study; with a cumulative grade point average of C or higher (2.0), according to the current VCC-HOSP grade scale.
2. Flexible Admission: Upon reviewing an applicant’s dossier, a review committee may recommend admission. Applicants with a grade point average lower than a C (2.0) are welcome to apply to the BHM Executive Cohort Program but must have Department Head approval prior to registration.
Proof of work experience:
An applicant must provide proof of seven to ten years of corporate managerial and/or entrepreneurial experience and accomplishments in hospitality managementand/or business and/or a related field of work. Professional experience should contain an array of experience from various content clusters – see content clusters on the following page.
Financial & Service Mgt.
- Financial Management
- Statistical Decision Making
- Services Marketing
Leadership & Strategy
- Leadership in Organizations
- Strategic Hospitality Management
Current Issues & Operations
- Sustainability in Business
- Operations Management
Asset and Innovation Mgt.
- Decision Making Analysis
- Capital and Asset Mgt.
- New Media in Hospitality
Business & Project Mgt.
- Revenue & Analysis
- Independent Study Project
- Contemporary Cdn Business
- Canadian Labour Relations
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants who self-identify as Indigenous are strongly encouraged to connect with VCC’s Indigenous Education and Community Engagement team to learn more about VCC’s Indigenous Enrolment policy, application preparation/completion, program advising, and a range of other individualized services.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and other documents as required by their course or program. Seats are offered to eligible applicants with completed applications, in order of application completion date (except for programs with competitive admissions). A complete application includes an application form, evidence of educational pre-requisites (e.g. transcripts), any required supporting documents (e.g. language proficiency, audition video), and the required deposit or fee payment. If you do not meet the requirements for the term applied, your application may be cancelled.
Missing prerequisites? Learn more about VCC's tuition-free academic upgrading or English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, or discover which university transfer options are right for you.
- Access to a personal computer and high-speed internet connection for course materials, including online texts, social media and video conferencing, among others, and online course instruction
- A confident oral and written command of the English language
- Ability to work well in face-to-face and online learning environments
- Ability to work well with others in an environment that embraces diversity
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude
- Proficient computer literacy
- Excellent study skills
- The Cohort model ensures that students are enrolled in the same cluster of courses throughout the duration of the program.
- The Executive Cohort Bachelor of Hospitality Management program may include transfer and insert students, i.e. if students meet program and course criteria.
- Every cluster of courses may include both face-to-face and online studies.
Program general hours
Tuesday evenings from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
VCC recognizes Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) as one of multiple pathways for students to complete their individual course of study. As per provincial and institutional practice, students can PLAR up to 30.0 credits. Please note: PLAR is distinguished from transfer credit and flexible admission.
The BHM Executive Cohort Department, in collaboration with the VCC Office of the Registrar, may grant credit for learning acquired through experience and/or non-formal education and training. BHM Executive Cohort students who request PLAR must:
- Receive an 80% pass on a standardized test in the subject matter; OR
- Submit a project based on pre-determined criteria; OR
- Present a portfolio reflecting sufficient knowledge of course content learning outcomes of the PLAR requested course.
Methods 2 & 3 include a presentation before a BHM Executive Cohort faculty assessment panel, inclusive of the Department Head and the PLAR requested course instructor, as well as an addition subject matter expert. The Department Head, in collaboration with the PLAR requested course instructor, will determine the manner of assessment.
If PLAR is successful, student transcripts will reflect a grade of “S” (satisfactorily completed). “S” grades are not included in GPA calculations.
PLAR fees for every course apply without exception.
NOTE: Students cannot PLAR HOSP 4365 Independent Study Project
|HOSP 3820||Hospitality Financial Management||3|
|HOSP 3910||Statistical Decision Making||3|
|HOSP 3670||Service Marketing||3|
|HOSP 3360||Decision Making Analysis||3|
|HOSP 3860||Capital and Asset Management||3|
|HOSP 4620||New Media in Hospitality||3|
|HOSP 4460||Leadership in Organizations||3|
|HOSP 4320||Strategic Hospitality Management||3|
|HOSP 4375||Hospitality Revenue and Analysis||3|
|HOSP 4365||Independent Study Project||15|
|GNED 3210||Multiculturalism in Business||3|
|GNED 4260||Sustainability in Business||3|
|HOSP 3320||Operations Management||3|
|HOSP 3310||Contemporary Canadian Business||3|
|HOSP 3460||Canadian Labour Relations||3|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||550|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
Need help with tuition?
Explore your options for scholarships, grants, bursaries, and loans.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5
† British Columbia Labour Market Outlook 2018: Tourism and Hospitality Industry Profile