Gain professional culinary skills while upgrading your English speaking, reading, writing, and listening for the workplace.
What you will learn
- English language and vocabulary specific to the culinary industry
- Sociocultural practices in the Canadian workplace
- Kitchen terminology
- Health, hygiene, and safety standards
- Operation and maintenance of commercial kitchen equipment
- Hot and cold sandwiches
- Breakfast cooking
- Stocks, sauces, soups
- Salads and dressings
- Meat, cheese, and fruit platters
- Selection, cleaning, and preparation of vegetables
- Potato and rice cooking
- Meat and seafood identification and storage
- Meat, poultry, and seafood cooking
- Meat carving and portioning
- Cutting and processing of beef, pork, veal, and lamb
- Cutting and processing of fish and poultry products
- Vegetarian entrées
- Pasta cooking
- Egg dishes
- Garnishes and accompaniments
- Pies, puff pastry, choux pastry
- Yeast goods, cakes, cookies
- Efficient work methods
- Weights and measures
- Merchandising, inventory, and food storage
- Food grades and quality
- Purchasing techniques
What to expect
- 40 weeks of full-time study
- A fully equipped commercial kitchen
- Work experience in VCC’s public cafeteria
- Hands-on learning
- Classroom instruction
- Active participation
- Critical thinking
- Self/peer assessments
- Practical assessments
- Course assignments
- ELSK 0515 and ELSK 0520 each with a grade of ‘S’ or equivalent
- English Language Proficiency demonstrated by one of the following:
o IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with a minimum overall score of 4.5 with no band lower than 4.0
o TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Test) with a minimum score of 45, or equivalent
- Any grade 10 Mathematics course or VCC’s Basic Arithmetic assessment with an 80% or equivalent
- Approval of the department
Applicants must be able to physically handle; all seafood including but not limited to fish & shellfish, beef, lamb, pork, all types of poultry, all types of game, all dairy products, and all associated by-products required to meet the program outcomes. Any other known food allergies must be disclosed.
- Applicants with a VCC Baking and Pastry Certificate or Baking and Pastry Red Seal Certificate may be exempt from CULI 1504 Baking Techniques
- Applicants with a Meat Cutter’s Red Seal Certificate may be exempt from CULI 1505 Butchery
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants who self-identify as Indigenous are strongly encouraged to connect with VCC’s Indigenous Education and Community Engagement team to learn more about VCC’s Indigenous Enrolment policy, application preparation/completion, program advising, and a range of other individualized services.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and other documents as required by their course or program. Seats are offered to eligible applicants with completed applications, in order of application completion date (except for programs with competitive admissions). A complete application includes an application form, evidence of educational pre-requisites (e.g. transcripts), any required supporting documents (e.g. language proficiency, audition video), and the required deposit or fee payment. If you do not meet the requirements for the term applied, your application may be cancelled.
Missing prerequisites? Learn more about VCC's tuition-free academic upgrading or English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, or discover which university transfer options are right for you.
It is strongly recommended that applicants consider the daily tasks associated with working in a professional kitchen. These include the following Essential Skills Requirements:
- Physical condition and stamina to meet the demands of the program, including good motor skills and coordination
- Ability to multi-task, work accurately with strong and neatly, efficient organizational and manage time effectively management skills
- Integrity, ability to take initiative and handle responsibility
- Ability to work independently and respectfully in groups
- Ability to give close attention to detail for sustained long periods of time
- Interpersonal & respectful communication skills
- Some creativity is an asset
- High standards of personal hygiene
Program general hours
Monday to Thursday from 10:45 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
This program must be completed within 3 years.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Prior learning assessment and recognition is not available for this program.
|ELSK 1018||English for Culinary Arts 1||6|
|CULI 1501||Kitchen Orientation||5|
|CULI 1502||Culinary Techniques||4|
|CULI 1503||Garde Manger & Breakfast||4|
|ELSK 1028||English for Culinary Arts 2||6|
|CULI 1504||Baking Techniques||4|
|CULI 1182||Cook Practicum 1-Introductory||2|
|ELSK 1038||English for Culinary Arts 3||6|
|CULI 1506||Production Kitchen||4|
|CULI 1510||Short Order and Cafe Service||5|
|CULI 1183||Cook Practicum 2 -Advanced||2|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||275|
|Program-specific extra fees||453|
Need help with tuition?
Explore your options for scholarships, grants, bursaries, and loans.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5
† B.C. Labour Market Outlook 2018