What you will learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Select a Health Sciences career path aligned with their interests;
- Use computers and other technological tools to perform related tasks;
- Apply a variety of Math, Biology, and Chemistry concepts to health related situations;
- Collaborate with others in ways that contribute to effective working relationships and support an understanding of Interprofessional collaboration;
- Communicate clearly in written, spoken and electronic form in relation to health studies;
- Utilize problem solving and critical thinking skills that are essential for success in health sciences programs;
- Develop depth and breadth of knowledge through the exploration of multiple health sciences courses and an elective course.
What to expect
This program will be delivered full time, face-to-face with blended (face-to-face and online) learning activities. There will be lectures, interactive group activities and independent study throughout the program. Students will be required to do writing exercises, presentations and role playing in various courses.
- Grade 12 graduation, or equivalent, or those pending completion of Grade 12 with permission of the Dean of Health Sciences, or delegate;
- English 12 with a B grade or higher, or equivalent, or those currently enrolled in English 12, or equivalent, with permission of the Dean of Health Sciences, or delegate AND English Language Proficiency: http://www.vcc.ca/applying/registration-services/english-language-proficiency-requirements/;
- Biology 12 with a C+ grade or higher, or VCC BIOL 0983 & 0993, or equivalent;
- Chemistry 11 with a C+ grade or higher, or equivalent;
- Pre-Calculus 11 with a C grade or higher, or Foundations of Math 11 with a C grade or higher, or equivalent. If a C in Pre-calculus 11 or a C in Foundations of Math 11 was not achieved, applicants must write the VCC Basic Arithmetic Assessment and score 80% or higher.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- A caring attitude
- Command of the English language
- Good verbal and writing skills
- Ability to work in a team/group environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
|BIOL 1125||Pre-Health Sciences Biology 1||2.5|
|MATH 1105||Applied Mathematics for Health Sciences 1||2.5|
|CHEM 1130||Chemistry for Health Sciences||2.5|
|PREH 1100||Information Systems for Health Sciences||2.5|
|PREH 1105||Heath Care System and Health Care Team||2.5|
|PREH 1110||Information and Research Fundamentals||1|
|BIOL 1225||Pre-Health Sciences Biology 2||2.5|
|MATH 1205||Applied Mathematics for Health Sciences 2||2.5|
|ENGL 1100||English 1||3|
|PREH 1200||Career Planning||1|
|PREH 1205||Communicating for Success||2.5|
|PREH 1210||Interprofessional Collaboration||2.5|
|Elective: Students will be able to choose from post-secondary level courses within Vancouver Community College or transfer post-secondary credits from another institution. The course must be at least 45 hours and must be from a recognized, credentialed institution.||3|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
2187 - Term 1
1914 - Term 2
0 - Term 3
0 - Term 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.