The Preparatory Certificate provides students with the foundation in music theory, skills development, and performance needed to successfully enter the VCC Music Diploma program.
What you will learn
- Reading and writing standard music notation
- Understanding of melody, rhythm and harmony
- Ear-training and sight-singing
- Program writing
- Transcription and dictation
- Awareness of many musical cultures
What to expect
- Supportive, lively community of musicians working collaboratively on music skills
- Participation in classes, ensembles and one-on-one lessons
- Instruction to develop musical capabilities in preparation for college-level music study.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS
- Grade 12 graduation, GED or equivalent
Note: Applicants who have not graduated from high school may still be considered, with permission from the Music Department Leader.
English 12 or Communications 12 with a pass, or equivalent.
- Successful audition in major performance area. See the VCC Music Application and Audition Requirements for details.
- Submit the Supplemental Application form.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants who self-identify as Indigenous are strongly encouraged to connect with VCC’s Indigenous Education and Community Engagement team to learn more about VCC’s Indigenous Enrolment policy, application preparation/completion, program advising, and a range of other individualized services.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and other documents as required by their course or program. Seats are offered to eligible applicants with completed applications, in order of application completion date (except for programs with competitive admissions). A complete application includes an application form, evidence of educational pre-requisites (e.g. transcripts), any required supporting documents (e.g. language proficiency, audition video), and the required deposit or fee payment. If you do not meet the requirements for the term applied, your application may be cancelled.
Missing prerequisites? Learn more about VCC's tuition-free academic upgrading or English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, or discover which university transfer options are right for you.
Demonstrates potential in area of specialization
Strong motivation and commitment to music
Basic computer facility
Prior learning assessment and recognition
PLAR is available for the following courses:
- MUSC 1011 Preparatory Musicianship 1
- MUSC 1013 Preparatory Theory 1
- MUSC 1041 Preparatory Performance Techniques 1
- MUSC 1054 Preparatory Class Piano 1
- MUSC 1064 Preparatory Class Piano 2
Prior learning is assessed in the following ways:
- Pass a written examination with a minimum grade of 80%, and/or
- Complete a Performance Assessment, and
- Complete a successful interview with the Music Department Leader and one other music faculty member
Please contact the Department for details. See VCC’s D.3.5 Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition Policy and Procedures for more information.
|MUSC 1011||Preparatory Musicianship 1||2|
|MUSC 1013||Preparatory Music Theory 1||2|
|MUSC 1041||Preparatory Performance Techniques 1||1|
|MUSC 1050||Preparatory Music Individual Instruction 1||1.5|
|MUSC 1054||Preparatory Class Piano 1||1|
|MUSC 2490||Performance Ensemble 1||1.5|
|MUSC 1031||Preparatory Musicianship 2||2|
|MUSC 1033||Preparatory Music Theory 2||2|
|MUSC 1042||Preparatory Performance Techniques 2||1|
|MUSC 1060||Preparatory Music Individual Instruction 2||1.5|
|MUSC 1064||Preparatory Class Piano 2||1|
|MUSC 2490||Performance Ensemble 1||1.5|
”Performance Ensemble” is repeatable for credit. Students require 4 terms (6 cr.) of “Performance Ensemble” to graduate. Students may participate in any VCC ensemble (or community ensemble as approved by the Department Head), subject to audition and/or entrance requirements.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
2078 - Term 1
2078 - Term 2
0 - Term 3
0 - Term 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||275|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
Need help with tuition?
Explore your options for scholarships, grants, bursaries, and loans.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
See the Application and Audition Requirements - Music Diploma and Music Prep Certificate for Music Supplemental Application and audition instructions. If you complete all steps by one of the deadlines below, you will be invited to the next scheduled audition interview date. Auditions take place by video submission and Zoom interview.
Upcoming Important Dates:
Applications open for 2023: See When to Apply
Deadline to apply for 2023:
- April 24, 2023 (for May 15 audition interview)
- May 8, 2023 (for May 29 audition interview)
- May 30, 2023 (for June 20 audition interview)
Audition interviews for 2023:
- May 15, 2023
- May 29, 2023
- June 20, 2023
- Additional dates: TBD
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5