What you will learn
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Apply the skills and knowledge necessary to perform at first-year apprentice level of heavy duty equipment technician, truck and transport mechanics, diesel engine mechanic and transport trailer technician to provincial standards;
- Evaluate completed repairs for consistency, accuracy, and quality according to industry specifications and standards;
- Adhere to industry health and safety standards in the repair and reconditioning of heavy duty and commercial transport equipment;
- Practice professional etiquette and personal hygiene;
- Work effectively as a team member.
- Communicate effectively and work in a culturally diverse environment.
What to expect
The Heavy Mechanical Technology diploma provides a wide range of opportunities for student learning in classroom, shop, and workplace settings. In addition to hands-on practical experience at VCC's own state-of-the-art heavy mechanical and commercial transport facility, instructional activities such as lectures, demonstrations, group work, peer assessment, and project-based learning strategies are used throughout the program. Students progress through courses in four terms, each course requires successful completion for overall completion of the program.
- English 10 with a C or Academic IELTS 5.0 (no band less than 4.5) or TOEFL iBT 60 or equivalent
- Students must possess a high school graduation certificate or equivalent
- Workplace Math 10 or equivalent
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International - English Requirements.
- Personal hygiene, grooming and appearance acceptable to a service industry;
- Good hand dexterity for operating equipment and machines;
- Command of oral and written English;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction;
- Good general health and respiratory condition;
- Physical strength and stamina compatible with the handling of heavy parts and equipment as required by the program;
- Ability to tolerate noise and vibration;
- Mechanical aptitude and interest;
- Good hand-eye coordination;
- Good eyesight and colour vision;
- Good line, form, and depth perception.
Program general hours
Classes are generally held Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Class times are subject to change.
|HMTD 1101||Workplace Safety & Preparatory Skills||1|
|HMTD 1102||Oxy-Acetylene Welding & Cutting||1|
|HMTD 1103||Electric Welding & Cutting||1|
|HMTD 1104||HMT Tools & Equipment 1||1|
|HMTD 1105||HMT Tools & Equipment 2||1|
|HMTD 1106||Fittings & Fasteners||1|
|HMTD 1107||Truck & Machine Operation 1||1|
|HMTD 1108||Truck & Machine Operation 2||1|
|HMTD 1109||Lubricants & Bearings||1|
|HMTD 1110||Math, Physics & Worksafe Requirements for HMT||1|
|HMTD 1111||Final Drives & Undercarriage 1||1|
|HMTD 1112||Final Drives & Undercarriage 2||1|
|HMTD 1113||Frames & Suspension||1|
|HMTD 1114||Tires, Wheels & Hubs||1|
|HMTD 1115||Workplace Skills 1||1|
|HMTD 1201||Hydraulic Systems 1||1|
|HMTD 1202||Hydraulic Systems 2||1|
|HMTD 1203||Hydraulic Systems 3||1|
|HMTD 1204||Hydraulic Systems 4||1|
|HMTD 1205||Electrical Systems 1||1|
|HMTD 1206||Electrical Systems 2||1|
|HMTD 1207||Electrical Systems 3||1|
|HMTD 1208||Electrical Systems 4||1|
|HMTD 1209||Electrical Systems 5||1|
|HMTD 1210||Electrical Systems 6||1|
|HMTD 1211||Electrical Systems 7||1|
|HMTD 1212||Shop Simulation 1||1|
|HMTD 1213||Steering Systems 1||1|
|HMTD 1214||Steering Systems 2||1|
|HMTD 1215||Workplace Skills 2||1|
|HMTD 2101||Cab & Protective Structures||1|
|HMTD 2102||Hydraulic Brake Systems 1||1|
|HMTD 2103||Hydraulic Brake Systems 2||1|
|HMTD 2104||Hydraulic Brake Systems 3||1|
|HMTD 2105||Air Brake Systems 1||1|
|HMTD 2106||Air Brake Systems 2||1|
|HMTD 2107||Air Brake Systems 3||1|
|HMTD 2108||Cab Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Systems||1|
|HMTD 2109||Refrigeration Unit Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Systems||1|
|HMTD 2110||Trailers 1||1|
|HMTD 2111||Trailers 2||1|
|HMTD 2112||Powertrain 1||1|
|HMTD 2113||Powertrain 2||1|
|HMTD 2114||Powertrain 3||1|
|HMTD 2115||Powertrain 4||1|
|HMTD 2201||Powertrain 5||1|
|HMTD 2202||Powertrain 6||1|
|HMTD 2203||Powertrain 7||1|
|HMTD 2204||Powertrain 8||1|
|HMTD 2205||Electrical Systems 8||1|
|HMTD 2206||Electrical Systems 9||1|
|HMTD 2207||Electrical Systems 10||1|
|HMTD 2208||Electronic Systems 1||1|
|HMTD 2209||Electronic Systems 2||1|
|HMTD 2210||Electronic Systems 3||1|
|HMTD 2211||Gasoline Fueled (Automotive) Engine Management Systems 1||1|
|HMTD 2212||Gasoline Fueled (Automotive) Engine Management Systems 2||1|
|HMTD 2213||Shop Simulation 2||1|
|HMTD 2214||Shop Simulation 3||1|
|HMTD 2215||Employment Skills||1|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||560|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
This is an international cohort program. As international cohorts are exclusively for international students, international feesapply throughout the duration of the program.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for international students. For domestic programs, visit vcc.ca.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's international refund policy.