What you will learn
- Creation, editing, storage, and filing of legal documents and correspondence
- Legal administrative procedures in the areas of corporate law, conveyancing, litigation, family law, and wills and estates
- Time management and priority setting
- Keyboarding, proofreading, and audio transcription
- Independent and collaborative problem solving
- Effective communication
What to expect
- 24 hours of class per week over 19 weeks
- Skills training in keyboarding and transcription
- Individual and group work
- Lectures and videos
- Legal software demonstrations
- Field trips to Law Courts and law offices
- Theory and practical exams and assignments
- Two-week practicum
Successful completion of the Vancouver Community College Administrative Assistant Program or equivalent program completed in the English language; OR
Minimum of one year's administrative assistant experience using MS Word, as demonstrated by the applicant's resume (with confirmation from an employer, if requested), and the following:
- A tested keyboarding speed of 50 gross words per minute on a 5-minute test with a maximum of 5 errors
- Grade 12 completion or equivalent
- English 12 with a C grade, or equivalent
English Language Proficiency at an English 12 level
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International - English Requirements.
- Ability to accept responsibility and to plan and reason logically
- Ability to follow instructions and work under pressure
- Good organizational skills
- Adaptability to change
- Ability to work cooperatively with others
- Competency in business arithmetic
Program general hours
Classes are generally held on Monday to Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., except during the practicum when students work Monday through Friday for the hours assigned by the practicum host.
|OADM 1450||Legal Office Procedures||3|
|OADM 1452||Corporate Law||3|
|OADM 1453||Family Law||2|
|OADM 1455||Wills and Estates||2|
|OADM 1460||Speed and Accuracy Development||1|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The College reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for international students. For domestic programs, visit vcc.ca.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's international refund policy.