Get professional training for an entry-level career cooking Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malaysian, Thai, Singaporean, Vietnamese, and fusion cuisine.
What you will learn
- Health, sanitation, safety
- Use of kitchen equipment and utensils
- History and principles of Asian cuisines
- Knife skills
- Preparing, cutting, seasoning, and marinating meat, poultry, and seafood
- Stir frying and deep frying
- Asian cooking methods including boiling, braising, and steaming
- Asian barbecue
- Soups and sauces
- Spices and specialty ingredients
- Sushi and sashimi
- Dim sum and Asian hors d’oeuvres
- Selection, preparation, and storage of vegetables
- Rice and noodles
- Wok methods
- Garnishes and accompaniments
- Kitchen preparation
- Food purchasing, receiving, and inventory control
- Professional etiquette
- Menu design
What to expect
Program Duration and Maximum Time for Completion
The Asian Culinary Arts Certificate Program is 20 weeks.
- 20 weeks of full-time study in two blocks
- Classes Monday to Friday 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. (subject to change)
- Purchase of textbooks, tools, uniform, and footwear
- Purchase of professional knives
- A fully equipped commercial kitchen
- Daily work experience in VCC’s public cafeteria
- Hands-on learning
- Theoretical study
- Practical assignments
- Written exams
- Required attendance
- Valid Food Safe Level 1 Certificate (certification must remain valid throughout the program)
- Entrance Interview with Department Head
- VCC Professional Cook 1 Certificate
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International - English Requirements.
- Good hand-eye coordination
- A standard of personal hygiene, grooming and appearance compatible with employment in a public food service industry
- Physical condition and stamina to meet the demands of the food service industry
Program general hours
Classes are generally run on Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.. Class times are subject to change.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Prior learning assessment and recognition is not available for this program.
|CULI 1193||Meat, Poultry & Seafood 1||6|
|CULI 1195||Soups & Sauces 1||1|
|CULI 1196||Asian Culinary Principles||1|
|CULI 1197||Cold Kitchen Hot Appetizers 1||1|
|CULI 1198||Vegetables & Starches 1||1|
|CULI 1291||Cold Kitchen Hot Appetizers 2||1|
|CULI 1293||Meat, Poultry & Seafood 2||6|
|CULI 1295||Soups & Sauces 2||1|
|CULI 1298||Vegetables & Starches 2||1|
|CULI 1299||Kitchen Management||1|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
Tuition Deposit: $12,550 ($5,000 non-refundable)
Tuition deposits are payable usually within two weeks after a Letter of Offer is issued.
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for international students. For domestic programs, visit vcc.ca.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's international refund policy.
OPEN DATE APPLICATION STATUS*
- Apply Now: Qualified applicants may receive offers of admission if seats are available, or placed on waitlists if seats are full.
- Closed: Applications are not accepted.
- For details about application availability based on study permit status and recommendations if the application status is closed, visit the Availability Status page.
For more information and tips, see Apply page