Travelling to Canada

Before travelling to Canada, ensure all your documents are ready and that you have the authorization to enter and remain in Canada. Review the IRCC website for more information.

COVID-19: Who can travel to Canada

TRV and eTA

Study Permit

Arriving in Canada


COVID-19: Who can travel to Canada

With the current COVID-19 pandemic, there have been updates on international student travel authorization. As the pandemic situation changes day-by-day, it is important to review the IRCC website regularly for updated information.  Refer to Entering Canada for details.


Temporary Resident VISA (TRV) and Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Depending on the citizenship, students may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. Visit the Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for more information.


Processing Times

For students who already have a TRV and plan to travel outside of Canada, a valid visitor visa to re-enter is required. If students need to renew their TRV while studying in Canada, they can apply from within Canada.

It is important to allow sufficient time for application processing as processing times may be lengthy at peak holiday times. 

The passport needs to be submitted to be issued a TRV, so students should not plan to travel during that process. It is also important to scan or photocopy the passport before sending it off.


Application & Guide

The TRV application form and instruction guide can be found on the IRCC website.


Documents from VCC

Students will need a Confirmation of Enrolment and an official transcript. Request forms for both of these documents are available online. Note that VCC International staff are not authorized to give immigration advice and cannot complete forms on students' behalf. 



The online IRCC Help Centre has a number of questions and answers regarding TRVs. Contact Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada directly by phone at 1-888-242-2100.


Arriving in Canada

When arriving at Canadian Customs at the port of entry (eg. Vancouver International Airport), have the following documents ready:

  • Passport
  • Study Permit or Letter of Introduction (issued by a Canada Visa Office to confirm approval of study permit)
  • Acceptance letter from VCC
  • Proof of funds to support the stay in Canada

A Canadian customs officer will ask about the purpose of the visit and verify the documents. Once the interview is complete, students will be directed to the Canada Immigration Office to process their study permit, if they have arrived with a Letter of Introduction. 

Do not leave the airport or border without a study permit. Also, check to ensure the information on the study permit is accurate. It is much easier to correct any errors before entering Canada.