Study and Work Permit

Study Permit

Study Permit Extension

Work Off-Campus

Practicum Work Permit

Programs Requiring Practicum Work Permit

Post-Graduation Work Permit


Study Permit

International students intending to study in Canada for more than six months require a study permit. Study Permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and application forms are available online or by paper. Students are responsible to know and understand the International Student Immigration Regulations. For more information, visit the IRCC website.

VCC’s Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number is O19279717512 (the first character is the letter ‘O’).  VCC’s DLI number is on all letters issued by VCC International Education. Students transferring to VCC from another educational institution in Canada must notify IRCC when changing institutions in their MyCIC account.

Apply for a Study Permit

At a minimum, these documents are needed to apply for a study permit:

  • A valid passport (with at least 6 months left before expiry)
  • Acceptance letter from VCC with VCC’s DLI number: O19279717512 (the first character is the letter ‘O’)
  • Proof of ability to pay for tuition and living costs for the student and any family members coming to Canada
  • Visa processing fee

For more information about study permit applications, visit the IRCC website.


Study Permit Extension

Students who are currently a student in Canada with a study permit may visit the IRCC website to learn how to extend a study permit. It is recommended that students start the process to extend their study permit 3 months before their current study permit expires. They can request an updated VCC Study Permit Extension Support Letter which is required for the application.


Work Off-Campus

International students will have the opportunity to gain invaluable Canadian work experience and practical job skills. International students are eligible to work part-time up to 20 hours per week during their studies and full-time during program vacations and break provided they meet the following conditions:

  • Have a valid study permit
  • Are enrolled in full-time study in a VCC certificate, diploma or degree program that is at least six months in duration
  • Maintain satisfactory academic standing in their program of study

Important: International students in ESL programs are not eligible.

To learn more, visit the Immigration, Refugee & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.


Practicum/Co-Op Work Permit

Students in a program that requires completion of a practicum are required to have a practicum work permit before practicum placements. In this case, a practicum is an essential component of the program requirement which allows students to gain work experience in the industry. 

Students must apply for the work permit together with the study permit application if their VCC acceptance letters indicate that a practicum is required.

If students already have a study permit when applying to VCC, they must apply for the work permit well in advance. In order to apply for the practicum work permit, students are required to have a letter from VCC that confirms work placement. The letter will be issued during the program. VCC students may email if there is any question about the practicum work permit requirement.

For more information about the Practicum Work Permit, visit the Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.


Programs Requiring Practicum Work Permit

Refer to this page for a full list of programs at VCC that require students to have a Practicum/Co-Op Work Permit.


Post-Graduation Work Permit

International students who graduate from VCC will be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) provided they:

  • Have completed full-time studies in a program of 8 months or more
  • Have completed and passed the program of study and received a notification that they are eligible to obtain their degree, diploma or certificate
  • Maintained full-time status as a student in Canada, with exception of scheduled breaks

Please visit our VCC Program Guide for a list of VCC programs that are eligible for the PGWP (page 6).

Important Notes: 

  • This is a once-in-a-lifetime work permit. Students should be selective about when to apply for it. Students completing a second certificate or diploma or completing a degree may decide to wait until after completing the full period of study before applying for the PGWP. 
  • Applications for a PGWP does not guarantee approval as it is up to the immigration officer to determine applicants' eligibility.
  • If you are graduating from VCC and are part of a cohort program, you will receive a completion letter by email after the Records office conducts your graduation audit (approximately 4-6 week processing time).  The letter is one of the documents required for the PGWP application.  If you are an insert student or university-transfer student, you will need to submit a graduation application.

For information about the Post-Graduation Work Permit, visit the Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada and British Columbia Learn Live websites.