What you will learn
- Reading and writing standard music notation
- Understanding of melody, rhythm and harmony
- Ear-training and sight-singing
- Program writing
- Transcription and dictation
- Awareness of many musical cultures
What to expect
- Supportive, lively community of musicians working collaboratively on music skills
- Participation in classes, ensembles and one-on-one lessons
- Instruction to develop musical capabilities in preparation for college-level music study.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS
- Grade 12 graduation, GED or equivalent
Note: Applicants who have not graduated from high school may still be considered, with permission from the Music Department Leader.
English 12 or Communications 12 with a pass, or equivalent.
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International - English Requirements [PDF].
Demonstrates potential in area of specialization
Strong motivation and commitment to music
Basic computer facility
Prior learning assessment and recognition
PLAR is available for the following courses:
- MUSC 1011 Preparatory Musicianship 1
- MUSC 1013 Preparatory Theory 1
- MUSC 1041 Preparatory Performance Techniques 1
- MUSC 1054 Preparatory Class Piano 1
- MUSC 1064 Preparatory Class Piano 2
Prior learning is assessed in the following ways:
- Pass a written examination with a minimum grade of 80%, and/or
- Complete a Performance Assessment, and
- Complete a successful interview with the Music Department Leader and one other music faculty member
Please contact the Department for details. See VCC’s D.3.5 Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition Policy and Procedures for more information.
|MUSC 1011||Preparatory Musicianship 1||2|
|MUSC 1013||Preparatory Music Theory 1||2|
|MUSC 1041||Preparatory Performance Techniques 1||1|
|MUSC 1050||Preparatory Music Individual Instruction 1||1.5|
|MUSC 1054||Preparatory Class Piano 1||1|
|MUSC 2490||Performance Ensemble 1||1.5|
|MUSC 1031||Preparatory Musicianship 2||2|
|MUSC 1033||Preparatory Music Theory 2||2|
|MUSC 1042||Preparatory Performance Techniques 2||1|
|MUSC 1060||Preparatory Music Individual Instruction 2||1.5|
|MUSC 1064||Preparatory Class Piano 2||1|
|MUSC 2490||Performance Ensemble 1||1.5|
”Performance Ensemble” is repeatable for credit. Students require 4 terms (6 cr.) of “Performance Ensemble” to graduate. Students may participate in any VCC ensemble (or community ensemble as approved by the Department Head), subject to audition and/or entrance requirements.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
Tuition deposits are payable usually within two weeks after a Letter of Offer is issued.
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical and Dental||275|
|Program-specific extra fees||1661|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for international students. For domestic programs, visit vcc.ca.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's international refund policy.
- Apply Now: Qualified applicants may receive offers of admission if seats are available, or placed on waitlists if seats are full.
- Closed: Applications are not accepted.
- For details about application availability based on study permit status and recommendations if the application status is closed, visit the Availability Status page.
For more information and tips, see Apply page