Advance your skills in network infrastructure, administration, support, and security for careers in computer information systems management and analysis.
What you will learn
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Plan, create, and implement computer network systems
- Work with clients and team members to provide desktop/server support
- Implement IT system and data security policies
- Design, implement and maintain a full virtualization environment
- Engage in computer forensic investigation
- Design, implement, maintain, and monitor a network using Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Lead, manage, and direct small-to-medium scale IT projects
- Perform shell scripting or other basic scripting tasks
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to co-ordinate access and use of computer networks
- Evaluate and install computer hardware, networking software, operating system software and software applications
- Maintain, troubleshoot and administer the use of local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), wireless networks, mainframe networks, computer workstations, connections to the Internet and peripheral equipment
What to expect
Program Duration and Maximum Time for Completion
This program can be completed in two years with full-time study. The program must be completed within 3 years.
Students will engage with the material in this program through hands-on exercises and projects involving typical IT work situations, including scenarios from industry. Other instructional strategies include the use of case-studies and group discussions based around current events related to IT news, and the demonstration of troubleshooting techniques.
Class-time will utilize active-learning strategies such as problem-based learning, simulations, and interactive classroom lectures. Some classes may be delivered partially or fully online.
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited university
- English proficiency demonstrated by one of the following:
- VCC ELA (English Language Assessment) with minimum scores of: Listening 25/30, Speaking 27/30, Reading 50/70 and Essay 16/20, or
- TOEFL iBT with a minimum score of 84 (minimum score of 21 in each section), or
- Academic IELTS with a minimum score of 6.5 (no band less than 6.0)
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International - English Requirements.
This program is suited for students who wish enter the IT field or who have an interest in computers and information technology.
Students should have:
- an interest in keeping their technical skills up-to-date
- an interest in network administration and security
- good communication, research, and problem-solving skills
- an aptitude for working with technology hands on
While there is no scheduled term break in this program, there are some short breaks in between terms. The length varies between 3 and 5 weeks depending on the term.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) is not available for this program.
Part-time students may take courses in any order as long as course prerequisites are met.
|ITOP 1101||A+ Hardware||2|
|ITOP 1102||Networking Fundamentals||2|
|ITOP 1105||Security Fundamentals||2|
|ITOP 1106||Service Manager||2|
|ITOP 1107||Linux Server Fundamentals||2|
|ITOP 1108||Windows Desktop Support||2|
|ITOP 1103||Windows Server Fundamentals||2|
|ITOP 2306||Virtualization and Cloud Computing||3|
|ITOP 2309||Data Communications and Networks||4.5|
|ITOP 1104||Active Directory||2|
|ITOP 2202||Networking with Cisco Technologies||4|
|ITOP 2204||Computing Security Architecture||3.5|
|ITOP 2203||Wireless Technology Networks||3.5|
|ITOP 2308||Enterprise Messaging and Collaboration Services||3|
|ITOP 2411||Advanced Network Systems||4.5|
|ITOP 2205||Infrastructure Project||1|
|ITOP 2414||Encryption, Public Key Infrastructure Architecture and Administration||3.5|
|ITOP 2415||Network Exploits, Vulnerabilities and Penetration Testing||4.5|
|ITOP 2201||Professional Development||1|
|ITOP 2307||ITIL Foundation||1|
|ITOP 2310||Industry Capstone Project||3|
|ITOP 2403||Introduction to Network Optimized Monitoring||2|
|ITOP 2412||Computer Forensics for the First Responder||2|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The College reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
Please check the Network Technology Administration and Security minimum laptop requirements.
Tuition Deposit: $8,750 ($5,000 non-refundable)
Tuition deposits are payable usually within two weeks after a Letter of Offer is issued.
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
This is an international cohort program. As international cohorts are exclusively for international students, international fees apply throughout the duration of the program.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for international students. For domestic programs, visit vcc.ca.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's international refund policy.
OPEN DATE APPLICATION STATUS*
- Apply Now: Qualified applicants may receive offers of admission if seats are available, or placed on waitlists if seats are full.
- Closed: Applications are not accepted.
- For details about application availability based on study permit status and recommendations if the application status is closed, visit the Availability Status page.
For more information and tips, see Apply page