What you will learn
- Effective communication and leadership skills for the hospitality sector
- Financial decision-making in the context of a hospitality enterprise
- Ethical practices and legal frameworks within the hospitality industry
- Hands-on food and beverage service
- Front-of-house and back-of-house hotel and restaurant operations
- Human relations management in a hospitality setting
- Marketing and communications strategies
- Hospitality industry trends and sustainability practices
- Customer service principles
What to expect
- Lectures, seminars, and group discussions
- Role plays in culinary, hotel, and restaurant settings
- Simulations and computer labs
- Course projects
- Reports and term papers
- Independent research
- 500 hours industry work experience
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- English 12 or Communications 12 with a C-, or Academic IELTS 6.0 (no band lower than 5.5) or TOEFL iBT 80, or equivalent
- Math 11 Foundations with C+ or higher, or VCC MATH 0861 Math 11 Part 1 and MATH 0871 Math 11 Part 2 with C+ or higher, or a VCC Math Assessment with Basic Math => 80% and Basic Algebra => 60% or Pre-calculus 11 with C or higher
High School graduates who have successfully completed the Career Preparation Program in Hospitality and Tourism should indicate this to the Department Head.
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International - English Requirements.
The hospitality industry is primarily a people business. The Hospitality Management Diploma Program has been designed to strengthen and encourage interpersonal skills and a team approach to course work. Students work with fellow students, industry representatives, members of the college community and the public. Students must have the desire to work effectively as a team player and to deal with the public.
Besides a strong "people focus", familiarity with computers, basic keyboarding skills and fluency in a second language are further assets that will strengthen a students' ability to succeed in this program.
|HOSP 1310||Introduction to Tourism||3|
|HOSP 1410||Principles of Service Manageme||3|
|HOSP 1610||Business Communications||3|
|HOSP 1620||Hospitality Computer Applicati||3|
|HOSP 1810||Business Mathematics||3|
|HOSP 1360||Food and Beverage Operations||3|
|HOSP 1370||Accommodation/Lodging Industry||3|
|HOSP 1660||Technical Writing||3|
|HOSP 1860||Financial Accounting||3|
|HOSP 1960||Introduction to Economics||3|
|HOSP 2310||Food Production Principles||3|
|HOSP 2410||Human Resources Management||3|
|HOSP 2620||Introduction to Marketing||3|
|HOSP 2810||Management Accounting||3|
|HOSP 2820||Cost Controls||3|
|HOSP 2360||Restaurant Operations||3|
|HOSP 2370||Management Principles||3|
|HOSP 2380||Industry Work Experience||0|
|HOSP 2460||Hospitality Law||3|
|HOSP 2470||Organizational Behaviour||3|
|HOSP 2660||Hospitality Sales Management||3|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
Tuition Deposit: $9,500
Tuition deposits are payable usually within two weeks after a Letter of Offer is issued.
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||550|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for international students. For domestic programs, visit vcc.ca.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's international refund policy.