Career FAQ: Cosmetology Diploma
Posted on June 7, 2021
VCC is the only public institution in Metro Vancouver offering a Cosmetology Diploma. Here's more information about how our students are getting hired, what types of work they do, and how they are supported throughout their programs and job-seeking journeys.
What type of work is expected?
- Manicure, pedicure, specialized facial treatments, waxing or lash extensions
- Haircuts, hair colouring, chemical texture services, shampooing, and styling
Where do VCC graduates find employment in Vancouver?
- JW Marriott Hotel, Beverly’s on 4th, Willow stream, Wild orange, Spa Time, Remedy Wellness and Spa, Zinc Salon, Lure Salon, Filomena Salon, Beehive Hair Lounge, Cheveux Boutique, Suki salons, and more
Photo from VCC Cosmetology student's Instagram: @lisa.wang57
What are some examples of position titles?
- Esthetician, Education or Product Customer Support Representative, Make-Up Specialist, Body Massage Technician, Medical Esthetician, Spa Manager, Spa Business Consultant, Esthetics Instructor, Spa Coordinator
- Assistant, Apprentice, Junior Stylist, Graduate Stylist, Stylist, Senior Stylist, Colourist, Salon Manager, Salon Owner, Barber, Salon Receptionist, Hairstylist Instructor/Educator
Photo from VCC Cosmetology student's Instagram: @sam.beautysalon
What is the salary range of VCC students and alumni?
- Hourly wage: $16.52 for Esthetician and $16.41 for Hairstylists
- Additional gratuities between 15% and 30%
- Additional commission for product sales between 10% and 20%
How does VCC prepare students for employment?
- Students practice customer service skills in VCC salon/spa by consulting with clients, and making recommendations under teacher supervision. Students also take turns running the reception desk, answering phone calls, booking appointments, and selling products.
- VCC arranges guest speaker sessions, from salon/spa owners and product companies, to share industry insights, updates and product information with students.
- Students learn to create resumes and cover letters.
- Students practice entrepreneurship skills with business plan projects.
- Many VCC students are hired through their practicum.
What are the English entrance requirements?
Other useful information about the program
Check out VCC Cosmetology Diploma student's posts about practicing on campus:
Photo from VCC Cosmetology student's Instagram: @true.living.aesthetics